cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9200 full internet route table

rosullivan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Csico Nexus 9200. I want to know if this device can accept full internet route table. The documentation I have found says there is a limit of 128k routes. I am BGP peering with provider and accepting all routes(currently on a Juniper router) however, only accepting the default route. Before I migrate to the Nexus I want to ensure my RIB is not swamped. Does my router still need to be capable of handling all the routes sent from the provider only to filter out the default route?

cisco Nexus9000 C9236C chassis
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU @ 1.80GHz with 16400648 kB of memory.
Processor Board ID FDO20210PGC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kevin251
Level 1
Level 1

if you are filtering out all routes except the default you should be fine.  The 128k is for the FIB.  16Gb of memory for the RIB is enough to take multiple full tables in no problem and filter them out.  I have asr920s taking in a full table with only 4GB of memory for the RIB using selective route download and there only at 70% memory utilization.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most of the time Nexus 9K postioned as DC Switches, the limitation still same as mentiioned below document :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/scalability/guide-932/b-Cisco_Nexus-9000-Series-NX-OS-Verified-Scalability-Guide-932.html

suggest to have good router if you looking to expose to Internet or Full global routing table.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

BB,

Thanks for the quick response. I am looking for a little more detail. When the Nexus peers with the carrier via BGP, despite my having a import filter to remove all routes accepts the default route will I still hit the limit of ~128K routes on the Nexus because I have to learn all the routes before filtering the default route?

kevin251
Level 1
Level 1

if you are filtering out all routes except the default you should be fine.  The 128k is for the FIB.  16Gb of memory for the RIB is enough to take multiple full tables in no problem and filter them out.  I have asr920s taking in a full table with only 4GB of memory for the RIB using selective route download and there only at 70% memory utilization.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you only want to use a default, from your provider, possibly you could ask them to filter before they send to you?

Also, if you only have one Internet provider, not a huge benefit to having more than the default.

If you have more than one provider, rather than using whole Internet tables, you might limit yourself to using default route with just each provider's networks within their AS.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card