Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Stub configuration along with HSRP redundancy for ABR

sshinde16
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am new to the networking domain and trying my hand on OSPF multiarea configuration. In stub area configuration , I know that there is only one ABR connecting to other area( Area 0) and that is the single point of contact for all the routers inside that stub area. I was just wondering if we can create any redundancy(using HSRP) for that ABR in case of failure. Since we have single point of failure, we need to have redundancies in the production network. It would be great if I can get some help here.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you can have multiple ABRs, no reason why you can't. 

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HSRP is primarily used for providing redundancy to servers, end user clients etc. and not between routers which tend to use their physical interface IPs when exchanging routing information. 

There is nothing stopping you having multiple ABRs for an OSPF area though.

Jon

I understand having multiple ABRs for a standard ospf area. However, we can not use multiple ABRs for a stub area, can we?

Yes you can have multiple ABRs, no reason why you can't. 

Jon

Adding to other post 

here is the good reference cisco document for a starter and understand.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/open-shortest-path-first-ospf/7039-1.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi ,

All the very best for your future in this career. 

Now answering your query :

We can have multiple ABR in the OSPF, I mean we can have more than 2 also. 

When you have 2 ABR in Area 0 and connected to Area 1 then you will see duplicate entries in DBD updates which is not a problem. 

We no need to configure HSRP here as routing protocols know about the backup path to reach the same prefix. 

HSRP will only be useful for LAN level redundancy. example if you 2 pc connected to switch and switch connected to Router A and Router B. an router connects to ISP in that can you have to use HSRP. 

If you found my answer to be useful please do not hesitate to click on the STAR and mark my reply answer.

@Vishnu Vardhan S

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card