Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Type-5 AS External Link States

srimal99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

Currently trying to decrypt what  is the reason behind Tags  and what tag depicts in the

show ip ospf database[

Type-5 AS External Link States

Link ID             ADV Router       Age          Seq#       Checksum           Tag

172.16.0.113    10.0.0.113      631         0x80000001 0x00F006         0

172.16.0.118    10.0.0.114      678         0x80000001 0x009775         0

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

do small lab 
R1-R2 -R3
R1-R2 between run BGP 
in R2-R3 between run OSPF 
when redistribute BGP into OSPF the tag is automatic add to LSA5 as AS number of BGP, 
this tag can use for 
filter 
prevent routing loop 

View solution in original post

Hello,

Route tags are usually added to routes with redistribution or injecting routes into a domain to….well, tag routes. The purpose of that is to be able to filter or match groups of routes based on a tag they were assigned. So if I redistribute routes from EIGRP to OSPF I can tag those routs with a number. Then later in the topology I can set up a filter to say “all routes with this tag do this thing” whatever it is I have them do. It could be to drop, it could be more redistribution. At the end of the day it’s a value assigned to routes to match for route manipulation.

Hope that help

-David

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

do small lab 
R1-R2 -R3
R1-R2 between run BGP 
in R2-R3 between run OSPF 
when redistribute BGP into OSPF the tag is automatic add to LSA5 as AS number of BGP, 
this tag can use for 
filter 
prevent routing loop 

Hello,

Route tags are usually added to routes with redistribution or injecting routes into a domain to….well, tag routes. The purpose of that is to be able to filter or match groups of routes based on a tag they were assigned. So if I redistribute routes from EIGRP to OSPF I can tag those routs with a number. Then later in the topology I can set up a filter to say “all routes with this tag do this thing” whatever it is I have them do. It could be to drop, it could be more redistribution. At the end of the day it’s a value assigned to routes to match for route manipulation.

Hope that help

-David

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card