cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PLEASE help! Please

JonathanReif
Level 1
Level 1

So I got a old cisco 1921 router off ebay that was said to be ready to go and this is my 3rd exhausting day trying to bypass the old companies security on it I HAD so many hours today already im just exhausted I have tried hundreds of times.. here is the issue..

the router is setup, the router has ROMMON disabled, i need to factory reset the unit and I have even seen that reset option blow past me a few times so I know its there its either I had hit break so many times i paused the system and it flew past or i literally locked up the device. once it even froze on the **bleep** yes/no question and no ability to enter y at all.. and if i dont go mad on press press press press break it never even shows the reset prompt so all I get is blow past it or nothing.. I need a way to make this happen..   I really need this router... I really really need this router..   is there any other way to make this thing ask me to reset?   I honestly want everything gone at this point.. ill do anything to get it live!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HELLO ALL!!!!

Guess who beat the 1921 router!  ME!   and nobody here was actually correct the way I got past this was by not using a console cable at all. I had tried 3 different console cable on it and none did it but you know what did the micro usb connector.. yep.. i hooked up one those I had from my OBD2 reader to update software from online and presto..  The port below in pic.... that works on 1921 100% and use putty and ctrl break after the OK on the loading.. i did 3x and it worked.. reset.. 

pic.jpg

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. Power down the router. 
  2. Remove the one (or two) CF.
  3. Power up the unit. 

Does it go into ROMMON with the CF removed?

I do not see a flash card anywhere on this one.. ill grab some pictures.. I was thinking looking inside.. 

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

that's all I see.. 1921 /k9

Oh, it's them 1921. 

Read THIS.

Let us know how you go.

Honestly.. I don't understand it.. don't look like what I'm seeing. so there is no way around this trap im in here..  I mean they have the reset in there im just never lucky to catch it once when the system will respond to me or its not gone buh bye off my screen from spamming break.. there has to be a way in.. internally?  something?  there are flash on the others is it internal? is it soldered on?   is there any hope other than trash it?

There is a way to break into ROMMON even if "password-recovery" is disabled. 

It is a question of reading the instructions carefully and hit the Ctrl+Break at the right moment.  

I read over many many conflicting directions and i followed each one and made up some of my own i just cannot hit the one that works.. .  its frustrating as heck.  some instructions say hit the break right away some say when the image is decompressing.. IDK   I tried a few different terminals and machines..    if there is a better guide somewhere ill happily follow it and try to hit the exact second..   lot sources say this can be done but none work for me.. as i say I seen the prompt come up and fly past so many times its heartbreaking.. i have many hours into this and it should not be so complex.

Hello,

not sure if this has already been asked, but how do you connect to the router when you enter the 'BREAK' sequence ? And what software are you using ? Did you try Putty ?

"not sure if this has already been asked, but how do you connect to the router when you enter the 'BREAK' sequence"    I have a console cable and USB...  I tried a 2nd cable as well with same results.......  And what software are you using ? Did you try Putty ?  yes I have used putty and tera term again with the same results   on putty I actually had it lock up on the yes / no question for reset and left it sit there to see if later I could hit yes without results.   I tried different machines  but so far all win.. I have a mac here and a Linux box I could try..  by time I joined here I had tried many reboots on the router waiting the suggested 30 seconds between.. I'm exhausted is all I can say..   I have another one of these exact same units and never had any trouble..  is there a way to flash this without a password?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to just have to trash it..   Day 4 and I have tried mac now see it in the terminal and issued a bunch of the mac break command suggestions and im just tired.. I have a lot hours into this thing and its just more and more disappointing that a router that runs cannot be saved.. 

BTW I tried different keyboards as well..   Im just tired at this point.. was hoping for a save here but it sounds like nobody is entirely sure when and where the really should be pushed and im out of combinations and getting angry.. time to just admit my defeat here. 

JonathanReif
Level 1
Level 1

so i opened it up.. there is a flash card in there screwed down.. I took that out and started it to say flash not present.. maybe if someone has a scrap one that has a working flash chip send it to me? hahah  that seems the only way to unlock at this point..  maybe ill corner it for parts.. IDK.. 

Sorry that this has been such a frustrating experience. First a basic question: the discussion has been assuming that password recovery has been disabled, are you sure that password recovery has been disabled? (in the booting process messages do you see a message about password recovery being disabled)

Then another basic question: have you used this computer, with this terminal emulator, and this console cable on other Cisco equipment and it has worked correctly (especially important have you been able to enter commands successfully)?

And another question: am I reading the discussion correctly that sometimes after entering a break sequence that you do get a response asking if you want to reset the router? (if so that provides the answer to my first question) But for some reason the router does not accept your input answering the question? 

If you are getting that response then you have the correct break sequence. I would suggest using these steps:

- connect to the console port.

- power cycle the router.

- watch the booting messages.

- the booting process ends with a message that says ok.

- you have a short interval (about 5 seconds) to enter the break key.

- quickly enter the break key once and wait for the prompt.

- respond yes.

HTH

Rick

First a basic question: the discussion has been assuming that password recovery has been disabled, are you sure that password recovery has been disabled? (in the booting process messages do you see a message about password recovery being disabled)

Yes I see the password recovery disabled on this router. 

Then another basic question: have you used this computer, with this terminal emulator, and this console cable on other Cisco equipment and it has worked correctly (especially important have you been able to enter commands successfully)? 

Yes other routers and switches.  another of the 1921 as well is configured already.   i have even reset passwords on other routers its just this one unit. 

And another question: am I reading the discussion correctly that sometimes after entering a break sequence that you do get a response asking if you want to reset the router? (if so that provides the answer to my first question) But for some reason the router does not accept your input answering the question?  

yes I will see it pass by I can never get it to stop on the question as in the router will pause and then fly past the question is there2x and not answered.. the only time it stopped on the question I was locked as in there was no ability to hit Y/N or anything. 

I have tried after the OK many many times.. like I say the router will pause and then zoom past the question 2 times with no response or just carry on as normal without the question and no pause. 

I can give it one one more test..  At this point i have the time in i put it back together. 

And as I said id try it again no luck as usual.. I waited for the ok and first time hit the key for break and 2nd time used the meu option on break all of the times it never really stopped just carried on as normal and ended up at unsername question.. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card