Views
Helpful
Replies

please help with best solution, multihomed internet without BGP

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello all

Canm anyone help, I have 2 internet connections from 2 different providers, these 2 routers sit infront of my firewall.

At the moment only 1 router is used, the other is doing nothing.

The only thing we have is a Site to Site VPN which comes in over one of these links

what is the best way to get these links running, 1 primary and the other standby so they failover automatically.

cheers

Carl

7 Replies 7

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

use reliable static routing with enhanced object tracking: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

The problem is these 2 routers sit infront of my checkpoint firewall so the firewall cant really do alot, what do you suggest ?

should I join the 2 different ISP routers with HSRP ?

What do you mean in front? these are not the border routers connected to ISPs?

Regards.

Alain

Hi

I mean a i have a router from ISP 1, ISP 2, these then connect to my firewall.

my firewall currently has a default route to ISP 1, all nat is done on the firewall.

how can i get ISP 2 to work in a failover scenario ?

cheers

Use both public IP on the router then add an interconnect /30 between router&firewall: 10.0.0.0/30.

You will do NAT on the router and traffic-control (firewall) on the Checkpoint; this mean you have to redo your existing configuration on the firewall.

Another solution add an interconnect /30 between checkpoint dmz port and router and whenever your primary ISP fails, checkpoint will use a failover route through your router. In this case you can keep your existing configuration.

Hi

would I have to do multiple nat statements on the firewall for this ?

would this work ok as a failover if I put a metric on one of the default routes on the firewall ?

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

Checkpoint has a load balancing option for just this scenario.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card