Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on interface vs subinterface

Hi , anyone can tell me exactly if QoS applied on the interface will be inherited to subinterfaces? 

I have subs for only data and for voip and video only, and wanted make sure my qos policies and inherited for voip and video subs. 

I was googling and some people says yes, some people says no in supportforums.cisco.com 

We have ISR 4451 routers, and right now I have service-policy output on the interface, when i check show policy-map int x/x it show packets under each class, this is not straight proof of course that policy is working for subinterfaces, i think. 

Thank you 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Bekzod,

a major change in QoS implementation happened in IOS 12.4(20)T with the introduction of the HQF = Hierachical QoS Framework

HQF is described in the link below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/quality-of-service-qos/white_paper_c11-481499.html

Now, about your question we can say the following:

a service policy applied on the physical interface can process traffic even if belonging to several subinterfaces.

This does not mean that the service policy is inherited in sub-interface configuration. The point of application is still the physical interface but it is able to process packets that are indeed part of the subinterface.

Now with the new framework you may be able to apply a different policy under a subinterface.

In other words if your physical interface is missing an IP configuration and you have only 802.1Q tagged subinterfaces applying the policy at the physical interface level should process all traffic passing over all subinterfaces.

As you have written you can check with show policy map interface <physical-interface>.

If counters increment for all classes you are Okay.

Of course this means that when you configure the class-maps you need to use ACLs that specify the correct subnets for Voice for example on multiple subinterface if needed. You need to think to the aggregate of traffic from the point of view of the physical interface level.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Bekzod,

a major change in QoS implementation happened in IOS 12.4(20)T with the introduction of the HQF = Hierachical QoS Framework

HQF is described in the link below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/quality-of-service-qos/white_paper_c11-481499.html

Now, about your question we can say the following:

a service policy applied on the physical interface can process traffic even if belonging to several subinterfaces.

This does not mean that the service policy is inherited in sub-interface configuration. The point of application is still the physical interface but it is able to process packets that are indeed part of the subinterface.

Now with the new framework you may be able to apply a different policy under a subinterface.

In other words if your physical interface is missing an IP configuration and you have only 802.1Q tagged subinterfaces applying the policy at the physical interface level should process all traffic passing over all subinterfaces.

As you have written you can check with show policy map interface <physical-interface>.

If counters increment for all classes you are Okay.

Of course this means that when you configure the class-maps you need to use ACLs that specify the correct subnets for Voice for example on multiple subinterface if needed. You need to think to the aggregate of traffic from the point of view of the physical interface level.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card