Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Shaping, exceeding Bc

cjinfantino
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

From Cisco's site, and all other documentation I can find - it clearly states that while shaping, "If not enough tokens are in the bucket to send a packet, the packet either waits until the bucket has enough tokens (in the case of a shaper) or the packet is discarded or marked down (in the case of a policer)."

It also states, "The bucket itself has a specified capacity. If the bucket fills to capacity, newly arriving tokens are discarded and are not available to future packets. Thus, at any time, the largest burst a source can send into the network is roughly proportional to the size of the bucket. A token bucket permits burstiness, but bounds it."

But, on the CLI I configured a shaper that has a Bc of 3200 bits (400 bytes) and a Be of 3200 bits (400 Bytes). So the total the bucket can ever be is 800 Bytes. But if I send a 1500 Bytes packet, say a continous ping of 1500 Bytes, the shaper will send the packets through up to the CIR.

If the theory is true that you can never send a packet greater than the size of the bucket, how are these pings going through? Also, how is the shaper figuring out it should only send X number of 1500 byte packets through to equal the CIR.

Thanks all,

CJ

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a3a25.shtml#trafficshaping

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello CJ,

packets cannot be fragmented so when they are sent they are sent as a whole.

Given the CIR and the TC time interval for a given packet size the router can meter the traffic to be sent against the bucket, if necessary multiple TC intervals = multiple BC blocks must  pass in "silence" to cumulate enough credits between sending packet N and packet N+1 to respect the CIR.

In  other words given the CIR if you use a low Bc you are using a low Tc also as

Tc= Bc/CIR

Actually there is a minimal value for Tc in the IOS implementation. (it should be in the order of 2,5 msec - 10 msec I didn't check)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello CJ,

packets cannot be fragmented so when they are sent they are sent as a whole.

Given the CIR and the TC time interval for a given packet size the router can meter the traffic to be sent against the bucket, if necessary multiple TC intervals = multiple BC blocks must  pass in "silence" to cumulate enough credits between sending packet N and packet N+1 to respect the CIR.

In  other words given the CIR if you use a low Bc you are using a low Tc also as

Tc= Bc/CIR

Actually there is a minimal value for Tc in the IOS implementation. (it should be in the order of 2,5 msec - 10 msec I didn't check)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

OK. That makes sense with what I am seeing on the command line. I suppose it means the theory holds true as well. Technically, the router is only sending the tokens that exist in the bucket every Tc, but some mechanism allows a credit to be established against a packet until there is enough tokens to send the packet.

Thanks for the clarification.

CJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: