cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about real-life multicast implementation

west33637
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. I've been doing a lot of multicast practice labs and so far I am getting a good understanding of how it works. However, I am still struggling with how it works in a real life scenario.

My particular question is - when configuring and testing multicast routing in the lab, because I dont have source servers and real PC hosts, I use switches to emulate the server and the client. In order to emulate the IGMP client I input the following command on a client access switchport - Ip igmp join-group  <multicast address> command. My question is - In a real life scenario where the client PCs are connected to a layer 2 access switchport, how will a client typically 'join group'?  How does a client receive a multicast video stream in a real life implementation? Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Windows media player and VLC supports IGMP joins AFAIK.

Tried this long time back though.

VLC is much easier for Joins and even stream a Mcast file -:)

Real life scenarios also involves clicking URD or even Cable TV operations.

View solution in original post

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My question is - In a real life scenario where the client PCs are connected to a layer 2 access switchport, how will a client typically 'join group'?  How does a client receive a multicast video stream in a real life implementation? Thanks.

By launching a multicast enabled application. The application is configured to join a specific multicast group (IP address).

If there are servers sending to that group, the clients that have joined that group will begin listening to the stream.

Just think about turning your TV on, you only get to see Channel X if you tune into Channel X. However, if you don't tune into Channel X - it doesn't mean Channel X will stop sending information for others willing to tune in

Regards,

Edison.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Windows media player and VLC supports IGMP joins AFAIK.

Tried this long time back though.

VLC is much easier for Joins and even stream a Mcast file -:)

Real life scenarios also involves clicking URD or even Cable TV operations.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My question is - In a real life scenario where the client PCs are connected to a layer 2 access switchport, how will a client typically 'join group'?  How does a client receive a multicast video stream in a real life implementation? Thanks.

By launching a multicast enabled application. The application is configured to join a specific multicast group (IP address).

If there are servers sending to that group, the clients that have joined that group will begin listening to the stream.

Just think about turning your TV on, you only get to see Channel X if you tune into Channel X. However, if you don't tune into Channel X - it doesn't mean Channel X will stop sending information for others willing to tune in

Regards,

Edison.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card