Views
Helpful
Replies

quick way to allow an VLAN across WAN

q-le
Level 2
Level 2

Hi ALL,

We have a need to access an VLAN at the main office( ie Core Switch 6500,switch 3750) from a remote site(Cisco3845 router, Switch3750) connecting by a SP through fibre link.

what is the easiest and quick way to do it and the user from the remote site just want to have access to that VLAN for a couple of days only.

Any advices are very  much appreciated.

Thanks

ql

6 Replies 6

avendittelli
Level 1
Level 1

Probably the easiest way is GRE tunnels between sites and policy based routing.

Hi,

is it possible to send us a url link or documentation on how do I implement it.

Thanks

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

q-le wrote:

Hi ALL,

We have a need to access an VLAN at the main office( ie Core Switch 6500,switch 3750) from a remote site(Cisco3845 router, Switch3750) connecting by a SP through fibre link.

what is the easiest and quick way to do it and the user from the remote site just want to have access to that VLAN for a couple of days only.

Any advices are very  much appreciated.

Thanks

ql

Do you need to access the *VLAN* (I.E. layer 2), or do you need to access *devices* on the VLAN (layer 3)?

If it's the latter, just stick in some appropriate routing statements to your existing link. If the former, then you need to put in some form of tunnel - GRE, maybe - and create a matching VLAN on the other end you can tunnel the layer 2 through.

Cheers.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With a normal network setup, that would be possible at all times, and perfectly normal.

Do you have a qualified consultant, or certified Cisco partner to configure and maintain your network, or do you try to things yourself? Because with the second option, you risk to wast many hours in frustration, and never get good results.

Basically we want to access *device* on the  VLAN (layer 3) so I will try to stick in some routing statement.

A coulpe of questions though:

1) Do I need to ask my Carrier to include my routing in their Autonomous System.

2) if I add some routing in my BGP config ie after hour  and if something go wrong - can I reload the remote site router without causing any further issues.

Thanks

q-le wrote:

Basically we want to access *device* on the  VLAN (layer 3) so I will try to stick in some routing statement.

A coulpe of questions though:

1) Do I need to ask my Carrier to include my routing in their Autonomous System.

2) if I add some routing in my BGP config ie after hour  and if something go wrong - can I reload the remote site router without causing any further issues.

Thanks

Is this a private WAN, or using some form of VPN, or are you just ising public IP addressing and the Internet?

If it's private, depending on your link type, you MAY need to tell your provider to add some routing - if it's just public IP addressing and the Internet, you shouldn't need to do anything (firewalls/NAT excepted) to get from one site to another - the Internet already routes from one public IP to another. Without knowing more about the type of link, I can't say a lot more.

As to reloading the remote site in case something goes wrong - issue the following command befoer making your changes

reload in 15

make your changes but do NOT save them using "write mem" until you're 100% sure tey're OK.

If they don't work, the remote router will automatically reload in 15 minutes and load in the saved configuration, restoring it.

If they do work and you're happy, issue the command

reload cancel

to stop the automatic reboot, then issue your "write mem" command to save the changes to non-volatile memory.

Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card