Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistributing NSSA default route in EIGRP domain

jmfranco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I'm testing the following configuration R1-R2-R3-R4. R1 is in backbone area 0, R2 is ABR in NSSA area 1 and area 0, R3 is ASBR NSSA in area 1 and R3 is connected to EIGRP domain with R4. NSSA area is configured as totally NSSA.

Well, I'm trying to redistribute EIGRP routing info to OSPF and all seems to work fine: R1, R2 and R3 can see EIGRP domain routes. Now I want to redistribute OSPF default route injected in NSSA area 1 (O*N2) to EIGRP, but it doesn't work, R4 doesn't learn default route. Is it possible to do this kind of redistribution?

Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

s.arunkumar
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

U mentioned that u have configured totally nssa(with area nssa no-summary cmd),but u mentioned ur default route as (O*N2).As i understand that should a type 3 default route,hence (O*IA).cmd "area 1 nssa default-information-originate" at R2 will show the default route as (O*N2) at R3,but then the nssa is not totally nssa !!!!!

Now regarding your query ,check if " no default-information allowed in " is configured under eigrp at R3.This will not pass the default route.

U can still generate the default route into eigrp with "ip summary-address 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0" on the interface towards R4.

arun

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

In addition to Arun's points can you post your configs and the output of a "sh ip route" on the routers.

When you redistribute into EIGRP are you using the metrics in your statements.

I have just had a quick look at this in our lab and it seems to work so it would be good to see the configs.

Jon

nordick26
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes, Jon is right. In other to redistribute from ospf to eigrp, you must configure a metric.

If not, it will not be adverised (or advertised as unreachable). It's the default behavior for EIGRP, IGRP and RIP

You can specify the metric with metric statement after redistribute cmd or with default metric cmd under eigrp process (e.g. default-metric 10000 100 255 1 1500).

HTH

Regards

Ivan

4 Replies 4

s.arunkumar
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

U mentioned that u have configured totally nssa(with area nssa no-summary cmd),but u mentioned ur default route as (O*N2).As i understand that should a type 3 default route,hence (O*IA).cmd "area 1 nssa default-information-originate" at R2 will show the default route as (O*N2) at R3,but then the nssa is not totally nssa !!!!!

Now regarding your query ,check if " no default-information allowed in " is configured under eigrp at R3.This will not pass the default route.

U can still generate the default route into eigrp with "ip summary-address 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0" on the interface towards R4.

arun

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

In addition to Arun's points can you post your configs and the output of a "sh ip route" on the routers.

When you redistribute into EIGRP are you using the metrics in your statements.

I have just had a quick look at this in our lab and it seems to work so it would be good to see the configs.

Jon

nordick26
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yes, Jon is right. In other to redistribute from ospf to eigrp, you must configure a metric.

If not, it will not be adverised (or advertised as unreachable). It's the default behavior for EIGRP, IGRP and RIP

You can specify the metric with metric statement after redistribute cmd or with default metric cmd under eigrp process (e.g. default-metric 10000 100 255 1 1500).

HTH

Regards

Ivan

jmfranco
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your help to everybody.

I made a mistake. I wanted to say you default route injected in NSSA area 1 is O*IA, not O*N2.

I configured default metric in R3 eigrp routing process, and R4 started to learn fine default route. All seems to work fine.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card