Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant routing

amisseri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am in the process of evaluating our disaster recovery plans and found that my company has redundant network connections, but does not have it implemented in a way that allows recovery of a failure.  My company has 4 locations, all conencted via WAN circuits (all point to point with multiple vendors).  We also have an Internet connection in each location.  So, the core switches in each site have a static route to the ISP for all Internet traffic.

So, when we have Internet issues in a site, the plans are to use the WAN conenction as a backup.  This only seems to work at the moment when we manually change the default route on our LAN switch to point to the WAN rather than the Internet provider.  This isn't ideal since it only works when the primary Internet connection is down.

I would like to use the secondary Internet connection not only as a backup for failure, but also for services to be reachable via two Internet connections, like a website.  At this point, when we create a nat on a remote firewall, the traffic comes in but cannot go back because it is routed out the local Internet.

Can someone please help describe how to go about enabling inbound access from the Internet via the primary or secondary Intertnet connection of a data center.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

So, when we have Internet issues in a site, the plans are to use the WAN conenction as a backup.  This only seems to work at the moment when we manually change the default route on our LAN switch to point to the WAN rather than the Internet provider.  This isn't ideal since it only works when the primary Internet connection is down.

it can be done using ip sla.

I would like to use the secondary Internet connection not only as a backup for failure, but also for services to be reachable via two Internet connections, like a website.  At this point, when we create a nat on a remote firewall, the traffic comes in but cannot go back because it is routed out the local Internet.

its almost imposible to host services as the pulic ip subnet you have from one provider will not work on the other link .. when the link is down

HTH.

Praveen AR
Level 1
Level 1

HI ,

You can do floating routing or PBR.Using PBR you can  use both links.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card