cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote ISR 4321 Replacement Concerns

Wayne78
Level 1
Level 1

We have received our RMA for the clock issue on the ISR 4321.  The router we are replacing is located in Greece so we'd like to ship it fully configured so all they have to do is rack it and power it up.  Boot image and config will be identical however I have two concerns that I'd like to clear up before I begin.

1. Can I transfer the license from the original to the RMA without disrupting service on the existing router? 
  2. We have to active GRE tunnels configured on the existing router.  When this replacement is powered on will these tunnels come back up on their own or will we need to do any additional work post install?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Without knowing anything about the environment and not seeing the config it is difficult to know if there is some quirk that might impact the GRE tunnel. But in general I would expect that the GRE tunnel would come up and not require any post install work.

I am not a licensing expert and perhaps someone in the forum who is expert will chime in but I would expect that transferring the license to the new router would not be disruptive to the existing router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Without knowing anything about the environment and not seeing the config it is difficult to know if there is some quirk that might impact the GRE tunnel. But in general I would expect that the GRE tunnel would come up and not require any post install work.

I am not a licensing expert and perhaps someone in the forum who is expert will chime in but I would expect that transferring the license to the new router would not be disruptive to the existing router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

In addition to what Rick noted, I would not transfer the license from one device to an RMA device. If the license is revoked in the current router, you may lose some features and functionalities. You woud need to go to this link and do a license transfer

https://slexui.cloudapps.cisco.com/SWIFT/LicensingUI/Quickstart#

HTH

The tunnels have a pretty basic configuration so I think I'm safe then.  As for the licensing I'll use that link to transfer.  Thank you.

Has anyone tried to rehost a license using the online tool?  I haven't had success with the 4321's and have had to open a TAC case to do this.  

Hello,

to be on the safe side, I would also create an EEM script that clears the tunnel interfaces upon boot:

event manager applet CLEAR_GRE

event timer countdown 10

action 1.0 cli command "enable"

action 2.0 cli command "clear interface tunnel0"

This would clear the interface 10 seconds after booting and configuring itself.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card