cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement of a Cisco 4500x in VSS

PStone
Level 1
Level 1

I am replacing one of my two Cisco 4500x which I have in a VSS configuration. 

The Cisco that is being replaced is set to switch one and has been removed from the topology. The new Cisco 4500x has had the firmware updated to match the existing Switch 2 and the new switch has been provided a bare Config, which allowed it to be in Virtual Mode and no longer stand-alone.

I noticed that once the new Cisco was updated, the switch interface type changed to switch-number/slot/port, which I needed, but it only shows for 1 switch. 

Is this because I will need to connect both switches together before my new Cisco recognizes that it is apart of a Stack? Also with this Cisco being labeled Switch 1, when I do connect them and perform a reboot of both to to initialize the VSS, will the config populate the new switch from Switch 2 (Pre-existing Switch) , or will my config on Switch 2 be wiped and populated with the Switch 1 bare config?

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes if you replacing the switch, the config should as before, and join to VSS, they form VSSand config will be the same.

until we see difference config we hearing here.

make sure you take the backup config out of the box.

join VSS in the maintenance window

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the IOS version of the replacement unit is the same as the existing VSS. 

Make sure the boot-variable string of the replacement unit is the same as the existing VSS.  

NOTE:  Factory-fresh Catalyst 4k have a boot variable string of 0x2101.

Ive updated the IOS on the switch I am replacing "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.07.01.E.152-3.E1" to match the existing switch.

The existing switch bootvar was set to 0x2101 and My replacement had the same IOS which I updated to it, but was on 0x2102. I deleted the stock IOS from 0x2101 and added the upgraded IOS.

Now that I both on the same IOS and booting from the same bootvar, once I connect them together and perform a reboot, how can I tell which switch config will be duplicated to the other?

As set up for VSS

Switch 1-Being replaced, I set the new switch as switch 1 as well.

Switch 2- Still active, No longer is standby mode.

Does the switch number dictate which switch will basically become master and slave.

@PStone wrote:

Does the switch number dictate which switch will basically become master and slave.

Correct.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card