cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a Stack Master in a 3750 stack

Chris Pohlad-Thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We currently have as our stack master a 24 port Non-PoE that we want to replace with a 48 port Non-PoE. The 48 port switch at one time was provisioned as switch 3 in the stack (not the master). Correct me if I am wrong, but theoretically all I should need to do to get this working is to shut off the existing master so it re-elects a master and then provision the 48 port switch as the new switch one and make sure switch 1 has a high priority?

Do I need to write erase the switch that is replacing the current master first?          

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Would I set this priority on the new master before connecting it with the stack wise cables?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe you can, but I don't recall just adding a new stack member causes a stack election (if you're trying to get the replaced switch to become the stack master).

Yes, you can configure priority on the new master before conencting.

Use command  : switch       priority <      new-priority-value>

Make sure you are giving a value which is higher than current master.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco