cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reverse Telnet from aux to console

corey.mckinney
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to connect to a router's console port from another router's aux port. I am using a straight through cable with the following config:

interface loopback 0

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

line aux 0

modem inout

transport input all

I use the command 'telnet 10.0.0.1 2065' and it tells me that the connection is open, however, I can't get a prompt from the other router. Can you please help me??? Note: I have no support for ansyc hardware.

6 Replies 6

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Had this kind of problem before and you need to match the baudrate setup on the line. Therefore, you need to the speed to 9600 on the line and then try again to reverse telnet.

Let me know if this solves your problem,

Regards,

Tony.henry
Level 1
Level 1

Think you'll find that you need a roll over cable.

Tony

The rollover cable worked. Which makes sense because I was connecting but was getting no response. (ie. transmit and receive were crossed)

Now, the problem I have is that the connection wants to stay open all the time. If I clear the line, the connection will close, and then 3 seconds later it's open again. In order to reverse telnet, I have to clear the line and then issue a telnet before the connection opens again. Is there a way to stop the aux port from automatically connecting.

I'm not sure, though I'm not sure I really understand your problem though.

AFAIK you'll only get console of R2 when you telnet to R1 on port 2065. Which is pretty much the limit of what I've wanted/needed to do with reverse telnet.

What do you need it to do?

Tony

Hi Corey,

Had the same problem a few days ago but with a 2511 with octal cables where the lines just want to stay Open.

Add the following commands to the Aux Port

no exec

exec-timeout 0 0

transport input telnet

transport output telnet

Let me know if this works .

I found a document explaining the process, I've attached it in this post

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card