cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP>BGP Mutual Redistribution

stevebiko
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, Mine is complicated but I will keep it lean to help you understand it quickly and hence help me easily.

• I have a WAN via provider MPLS VPN with BGP as the PE-CE protocol.
  • In places where provider doesn't have T1 or fiber, I have utilized cellular service 4G/3G and I use GRE over EIGRP to get to the Head end DMVPN router.
  • On the remote sides we have utilized VSAT as backup links, and because provider is running RIP, we are forced to run RIP on the backup. So generally we have a combination of PRIMARY>SECONDARY as MPLS-T1>CELL-GRE or CELL-GRE>VSAT-RI

Recently, in an attempt to optimize our network, we have collocated one MPLS node inside VSAT provider to act as aggregation for all VSAT on RIP then backhaul them to our headquarter via the MPLS VPN LINK. As such, I have had to redistribute VSAT RIP prefixes into BGP to be propegate upstream and also redistribute BGP into RIP to deliver our HQ Data Center prefixes downwards. I have used a prefix-list in the BGP>RIP redistribution to allow only data center prefixes because that's all our remote sites need to reach.

So here is the problem. When I finally tried to test success by shutting down primary link in a sample remote side to force traffic the VSAT path, the link was flapping like crazy. Of note was that a trace route from remote to HQ was pretty much success all the time, but trace from HQ to remote kept going through or failing variously. What could be the issue ?

Malik

5 Replies 5

e.ciollaro
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Stevebiko,

the architecture is not very clear to me, could you post a network diagram with protocols, tunnels and redistribution ?

In any case the behaviour you described and the presence of a tunnel make me think to a recursive routing. Could it be ?

E

i have posted the diagram. I will post the relevant running config in a bit.

Hi,

I can't see the file, are you sure it has been correctly uploaded ?

Gaurav Mahajan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Malik,

Network diagrm or clear topology will help first understanding the issue.

2nd we will require configurations from the devices in question here.

Regards,

Gaurav

I have attached the high level diagram. Allow me sometime to edit the running config appropriately then post safely.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card