cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route-map with no set command - what is the effect?

adil.nasser3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the effect, if any, there is on routing for line 10 in the route-map configuration shown below.  An ACL is used to match traffic but no set command is given directly below it.  Does this just mean that the default routing is in effect when there is no set command?  I just want to make sure.

route-map vlan1towan permit 10

match ip address vlan1towan

!

route-map vlan1towan permit 20

set interface Serial0/0/0:0

Thanks,

Adil

6 Replies 6

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Without match it falls to default routing.

adil.nasser3
Level 1
Level 1

Actually this is the entire config.  Sorry.

route-map vlan1towan permit 5

match ip address vlan1tovlan2

set interface GigabitEthernet0/1.2

!

match ip address vlan1towan

!

route-map vlan1towan permit 20

set interface Serial0/0/0:0

Hi,

without the topology it's hard to tell why this sequence was created in the route-map.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

route-map vlan1towan permit 10 would make good sense if the route map were used for controlling redistribution.

route-map vlan1towan permit 20 would make good sense if the route map were used for Policy Based Routing.

The original poster needs to clarify how the route map is being used so that we can understand better how to answer this question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I guess this route-map was used for policy-based routing with following idea:

The traffic matching the vlan1tovlan2 ACL should be sent out via interface GigabitEthernet0/1.2

All other traffic should be sent out via interface Serial0/0/0:0 with the exception of the traffic matching the vlan1towan ACL.

That traffic should be sent out based on the standard destination-based routing.

According to the PBR configuration guide

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/ps6599/products_white_paper09186a00800a4409.shtml#wp14035 ) it would be better to use

route-map vlan1towan deny 10

instead of

So I'm not sure if the current route-map is working properly.

I guess it might, but some lab test would prove for sure.

BR,

Milan

daniel tousi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Adil,

Thanks for starting the discussion, regarding your question, If a set command is not present in a route-map permit clause then the route is redistributed without modification of its current attributes.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/49111-route-map-bestp.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card