Views
Helpful
Replies

Router c819 antennas

tinhnho123
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I have a new c819hg-v-k9 which come with 2 antennas, one says for main 3g and other one says for gps which according on their labels on the router. My question is if i only use one antenna for the main 3g signal and not using the other antenna, will it really affect the 3g signal strength? Or do i need to have both antennas plugged in? what are they exactly doing for the router? Thanks.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the router comes with three antennas, why do you want to consider using 2 only?

The two antennas for 3G enhances the in/out signal. 

i'm looking for an external antenna and just want to make sure that i get the right number for it. So as you said i have to have 2 external antennas no matter what? Thanks.

i'm looking for an external antenna

Just how bad is the cellular signal to this site?

The signal is bad when the antenna is inside the building. I brought the router outside and the signal seems to be better.

Emmanuel Valdez
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

You can use only one antenna that is designed for 3G, if you install the second antenna for GPS service and you don´t have the service activated with your ISP it doesn´t work.

If it is useful please rate.

Best regards.

Hi, i tried to use one antenna but signal doesnt seem to be strong enough/stable but when i have 2 antennas it seems work better. Do you have any cisco documents which explain about these antennas? Thanks.

Just for my curiosity.

Why is that you want to use one antenna only ?

It's $150 per external antenna and so I thought I could save some bucks if the second external antenna is unnessary.

Emmanuel Valdez
Level 3
Level 3

Hi tinhnho123,

What is the command that you are using on IOS to check the strength signal?

Are you checking the strength signal with the LED´s behind the router?

Regards.

No, LED isn't giving u the right number sometime. I used 'show cell 0 radio all'

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card