Views
Helpful
Replies

Router choice

jorgemfm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are a company of about 40 people right now and we are thinking of changing our ISP router (wich is like a home device) from a cisco router. They gave us the following choices from the cheapest to the more expensive:

• Router Cisco 4331
  • Router Cisco 4351
  • Router Cisco 4431

Our needs are basically, VPN access with anyconnect and an IPSEC tunnel to one of our clients.

Do you recommend any of these?

Thank you

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

all the model are same series and one have upper model, you need to choose the router based on throuhput and any expansion modules required.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Do you recommend any of these?"

Insufficient information.

As noted by @balaji.bandi, need some idea of bandwidth usage (and project growth, if any) and module needs (if any).

If you're doing well with a typical home router, as @Flavio Miranda suggests, an 1100 might handle your needs, but again, unclear what your needs are.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the WAN speed?

jorgemfm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The ISP only has those options, so the ISR1000 series is out of the question I think.

As for the bandwidth usage and modules needed, I currently dont have anykind of measure that would allow me to answer this question and I don't know if I will need any extra modules (kind of new to cisco, don't even know what kind of mudules there are). 

Contracted speed is 200Mbps DOWN and 100Mbps UP

Thank you all

Ah, if you're limited to just the ISRs in your OP, and your WAN link will be 200/100 (down/up) Mbps, you should want an ISR capable of at least 300 Mbps.  See table 4 in 4K ISR data sheet 

The 4331, with a performance license can just meet 300 Mbps, but beyond that level, you'll need a boost license, and performance, with the boost license, can vary much based on your config and traffic mix.  (This is issue is true for any 4K ISR using a boost license, i.e. you get more capacity, but it's uncertain how much more.)

The 4351, with a performance license provides 400 Mbps, i.e. you needed (now) 300 Mbps, with another 100 Mbps available for future bandwidth upgrade (again, perhaps not much possible growth, depends what you consider the extra 100 Mbps).

The 4431, at its base level, provides 500 Mbps, and 1 Gbps with it performance license.  I.e. much more "headroom" for future growth.

Assuming your ISP will charge more for higher capacity routers, you might be okay with just the 4331, especially if you can later move to a higher capacity 4K for only the original price delta between them now.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/small-business/networking/routers.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card