cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing issues

CSCO12440497
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have 2 routers with HSRP. A trace route passes from active router but after changing the standby router to a newer model with same config as before a trace route passes from standby router instead of active.

How come? From sh standby the main router is active but I am seeing the standby router (old and new) are both in Init states.

11 Replies 11

e.ciollaro
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

first of all I didn't understand the final architecture: do you have two or three routers on the segment ? In any case could you post the config and the result of the show standby for each router ?

Bye

enrico

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm wondering whether your older router is running HSRP v1 while the newer router is running HSRP v2. I don't recall whether you can mix the two versions.

Besides posting the information Enrico asked for, you might also post show HSRP.

How can I check this please?

HSRP version may show in one of the HSRP commands. Also, I recall enabling v2 normally requires an HSRP interface command.

Hi

Please enable same version on both routers. Here  you go some hints, how we can configure HSRP.  This is the minimum number of steps required to enable HSRP.
Switch# configure terminal
Switch(config)# interface gigabitethernet1/0/1
Switch(config-if)# no switchport
Switch(config-if)# standby 1 ip
Switch(config-if)# end
Switch# show standby

This example activates a port, sets an IP address and a priority of 120 (higher than the default value), and waits for 300 seconds (5 minutes) before attempting to become the active router:

Switch(config-if)# standby ip 172.20.128.3
Switch(config-if)# standby priority 120 preempt delay 300
Switch(config-if)# end

Router A Configuration

Switch(config-if)# ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
Switch(config-if)# standby 1 ip 10.0.0.3
Switch(config-if)# standby 1 priority 110
Switch(config-if)# standby 1 preempt
Switch(config-if)# standby 2 ip 10.0.0.4
Switch(config-if)# standby 2 preempt
Switch(config-if)# end

Router B Configuration
Switch(config-if)# ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0
Switch(config-if)# standby 1 ip 10.0.0.3
Switch(config-if)# standby 1 preempt
Switch(config-if)# standby 2 ip 10.0.0.4
Switch(config-if)# standby 2 priority 110
Switch(config-if)# standby 2 preempt
Switch(config-if)# end
Displaying HSRP Configurations
Switch# show standby
VLAN1 - Group 1
Local state is Standby, priority 105, may preempt
Hellotime 3 holdtime 10
Next hello sent in 00:00:02.182
Hot standby IP address is 172.20.128.3 configured
Active router is 172.20.128.1 expires in 00:00:09
Standby router is local
Standby virtual mac address is 0000.0c07.ac01
Name is bbb
VLAN1 - Group 100
Local state is Active, priority 105, may preempt
Hellotime 3 holdtime 10
Next hello sent in 00:00:02.262
Hot standby IP address is 172.20.138.51 configured
Active router is local
Standby router is unknown expired
Standby virtual mac address is 0000.0c07.ac64
Name is test
Thanks 

It seems me that HSRP V1 and v2 are not compatible, they can be both in use on the same router but over different interface

enrico

sgt2111usmc
Level 1
Level 1

HSRP V1 and V2 are compatible with each other.  Group numbers have increased in V2 to 4095 from 255 in V1.  

I would double check your configs again after checking out this LINK about conversion to V2.  Although V1 and V2 are compatible it's sometimes wiser to start eliminating any possible issues.  If the older router is compatible with a newer IOS, update it to match the new router.  IOS feature versions for V2 are also in that link.   

Hi,
seems the opposite:
"HSRP version 2 has a different packet format than HSRP version 1. The packet format uses a type-length-value (TLV) format. HSRP version 2 packets received by an HSRP version 1 device will have the type field mapped to the version field by HSRP version 1 and subsequently ignored."
See also http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp_fhrp/command/fhp-s2.html#wp2802800403 :
"HSRP version 2 does not interoperate with HSRP version 1"

Bye,
enrico

Enrico,

Thanks for the correction.   

"HSRP version 2 does not interoperate with HSRP version 1. An interface cannot operate both version 1 and version 2 because both versions are mutually exclusive."  

Sounds like he needs to make sure both routers are running the same HSRP version and his problems "may" go away.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi
I did a little test in GNS3, what is discover is that having the two routers with different ver brings also to a duplicate ip error:

*Mar 1 00:11:51.063: %IP-4-DUPADDR: Duplicate address 192.168.12.12 on FastEthernet0/0, sourced by 0000.0c07.ac01

This could be a clue of a version mismatch.

Bye,
e

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

The initial post talks about the standby is in init state.

If this is true it would indicate that the interfaces is not in up state. If they where up but with different hsrp version, both routers would be active.

/Mikael

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card