Views
Helpful
Replies

RTT Round trip time ?

Rajesh cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team,

Have few doubts on round trip time of PING utility.

Actually am not sure how RTT is calculated. i mean min/avg/max values. is there any algorithm available ? please share if any RFC available ?

i know RTT is delay between source and destination ack. i am not sure how MIN/AVG/MAX calculated.

please help me on this.  

thanks

rajesh kumar V

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

RTT is figured by the sender recording when it sends the ping request and subtracts that from the time when it gets the ping reply.  I.e. the delta is the RTT.

Receivers might be slow to process a ping request, so the latency isn't always just network time, it often includes the receiver's processing latency.

(NB: For Cisco's SLA "ping", the receiver immediately records when ping request is received and this usually allows the receiver's processing latency to be eliminated - providing a much more accurate network latency value.)

If you send more than one ping, in a series, the min the is the best/least time, max is the worse/highest time, and avg is the average of the series.

e.g.

If you sent 3 pings and their times were 2,2,2, min/avg/max would be 2/2/2.

If you sent 3 pings and their times were 3,1,2, min/avg/max would be 1/2/3.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

RTT is figured by the sender recording when it sends the ping request and subtracts that from the time when it gets the ping reply.  I.e. the delta is the RTT.

Receivers might be slow to process a ping request, so the latency isn't always just network time, it often includes the receiver's processing latency.

(NB: For Cisco's SLA "ping", the receiver immediately records when ping request is received and this usually allows the receiver's processing latency to be eliminated - providing a much more accurate network latency value.)

If you send more than one ping, in a series, the min the is the best/least time, max is the worse/highest time, and avg is the average of the series.

e.g.

If you sent 3 pings and their times were 2,2,2, min/avg/max would be 2/2/2.

If you sent 3 pings and their times were 3,1,2, min/avg/max would be 1/2/3.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card