Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042: asynchronous routing a problem for my mail server

casperfeldmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Both of my WAN ports have a static IP address and I have set up the MX records of my domain accordingly. The router ist set up to forward the port (no matter which WAN) to one server in the local network. Everything works fine as long as WAN1 is active. The other day I noticed that WAN1 went offline and WAN2 was not accepting emails.

I checked the setup and everything is fine. Even a person from the cisco support line looked at the configuration and said everything was set up correctly. Once WAN1 was back I started to poke around and found out that if I telnet both of my IPs with port 25 (from an external host) I only get an answer from the IP "pointing" to WAN1. If I try this with the WAN2 IP I get no answer. Then I tested the forwarding rules by installing WireShark on the server and listening what comes in. The request actually comes in - no matter which WAN is targeted, but I still don't get an answer from my telnet request over WAN2.

I am wondering if the cause might be because the router is routing asynchronously. Could it be that the RV042 accepts and forwards requests that come in over WAN2 but sends out the responses over WAN1? This would obviously explain why I would seemingly not be getting an answer.

Can I deactivate asynchronous routing to test this? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try Small Business Forum. This one is for true Cisco products.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card