cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 Router User Management

Battscom
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2nd user account setup in the router but I cannot log in through this user.  I have saved changes each time and results in nothing when I try to log in through anything but the cisco admin account.  I have read and seen some articles on how to change this to get it work like enabling SSL under the firewall/general settings but these articles are a few years old and I do not see any SSL options.  Why can i not get this user account to work?

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you look at the config does the second user show up, or do you have to add it each time you try it. Perhaps a screen shot might help us understand what the situation is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

After I add the user it stays in there and when I edit the password and save it, it accepts the changes. But when I log out to try and log in under this user it says invalid username or password.

Thank you for the screen shot. It does show the second user and I do not see issues about it. I have several suggestions:

- is there any possibility that the issue might be about use of upper case and lower case?

- is there any possibility that the RV325 might require some level of complexity in the password?

- I note that cisco user is an administrator. What would happen if you change Batts from supervisor to administrator?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I've tried lower case and Upper based specifically on the way it was entered into user management. No luck either way, I do not believe it has password complexity and the new password im changing it to is plenty complex.  Also, I originally thought about your question about changing it to admin when I was originally trouble shooting it but you can only have one "Admin" account.

Hi,

Will you please locate the Group Management page (can be either via "SSL VPN > Group Management" or via "VPN > SSL VPN > Group Management" depending on your firmware version). On this page please make sure that the "Supervisor" group is enabled. Then opening this group parameters page via the "Edit" button please look within the "Resource Management" part whether the "Web" and the "Secure Web" services are checked and if not (default settings) please enable these.

Best regards,

Antonin

Looks like I was on the right track asking about the group supervisor. @amikat has more familiarity with this platform than I do and has presented several suggestions which I believe will lead to a solution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ok, so I have some thoughts on this one.  I did find this information when searching the google for answers but I found no mention of it when looking through the settings on our router.  So I thought about it over the weekend and decided to try it on a clients router since we set some of them up with the same one that we use.  All of the settings for SSL VPN are listed under the firewall and the group management settings were there as well.  It confused me because these settings are not on the one we use here at the shop.

So I did a little digging, our's uses firmware v1.4 and the client one that had all of the options that the guides explain has firmware v1.3.  So the firmware on our router is newer than the clients and it does not have these options.  Did cisco change everything?

I included attached screen shots of the 2 routers, the one with the options is v1.3

It is an interesting possibility that there may be version differences in how it is configured and operates. I can well imagine that Cisco might have moved some things around and that something like management users might be in a different place in 1.4 as compared to 1.3. It is more difficult to believe that Cisco might have removed the capability.

Can you confirm how you are attempting to login to this RV325? Is this will SSH, or web browser? Is this from a local IP connected to the router or from something remote?

In your screen shot of 1.4 I see some options that are not enabled including Remote Management, SSH, and Remote SSH. I wonder if any behavior would change if they were enabled?

I do find in the documentation the statement that the admin group has only a single member. It is not clear but there are suggestions that configuring other user IDs and passwords are intended for use in VPN etc and not necessarily for device management. Am I correct in understanding that in configuring other RV325 that you have configured additional user ID and password and that these user ID were successful in login to the RV325?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Regrettably your findings are valid as Cisco removed SSL VPN feature at the 1.4.2.15 firmware version for the RV320/RV325 routers and suggested to use the OpenVPN server instead. Consequently you cannot find the SSL VPN tab since. I am sorry to say that at the moment I have no RV325 box in my lab to test how to progress with the new firmware.

If I can find anything helpful to you I come back.

Best regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card