cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP detected but interface showing down

mramirez-t
Level 1
Level 1

We have 1GB Internet speed right now going into a router that has a Proline GLC-SX-MM-CDW SFP.  We are upgrading our Internet speed to 2GB and are replacing current router with an ASR1001X.  We tried putting in the Proline SFP but even though it was detected, it wasn't passing any traffic.  The interface kept saying down.

I thought about specifying the link speed on the interface, but didn't know you can't do that with fiber.  I attached specs on the Proline SFP.  And was wondering why the interface kept saying down.  When running show hw-module, the SFP is clearly detected, in g0/0/0.  Second SFP wasn't an issue at all.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can you please provide the complete output to the following commands:
1. sh version; and
2. sh logs

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Looks like this SFP is not supported on ASR-1Ks. Check this below link...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc520108741

hth

MS

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

@mramirez-t wrote:

We have 1GB Internet speed right now going into a router that has a Proline GLC-SX-MM-CDW SFP.  We are upgrading our Internet speed to 2GB and are replacing current router with an ASR1001X. 

GLC-SX-MM is supporting speeds of 1 Gbps.

If you're Internet bandwidth is 2 Gbps now, then I'm pretty sure your vendor is using 10 Gbps SFP+

@mvsheik123 I see that GLC-SX-MM is supported on the ASR1001. Am I doing a mistake?

Calin

Hi Calin,

ASR 1000 series related table showing 'GLC-SX-MMD'  (not GLC-SX-MM). 

Thx

MS

MMD is the successor of MM. I'm not sure if D(OM) is mandatory to have the SFP work on an ASR. If I have time tomorrow and find an older MM model I'll give it a try to see if it works in the ASR.

Nevertheless the topic remains, this is a 1Gbps SFP and the bandwidth is 2Gbps.

Calin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: