Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP Onboard Routers

Greetings,

I'm searching to buy a router and I'm looking for models with at least one SFP onboard.

Also I want the router to support a second POE Power supply for failure support.

The reason I ask the question is that if I want to buy a router and add a SFP module it will cost more.

Since many models are discontinued, I found this place the best to have correct answers.

I don't mind buying a discontinued model.

Thanks,

Saman

6 Replies 6

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

I am not familiar with this model but based on what it states this may be something you are looking for.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10544/index.html

The Cisco 2951 Integrated Services Router (ISR) delivers   highly secure data, voice, video, and application services for small offices.   Key features include:

• 3 integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports with 1 port capable of     RJ-45 or SFP connectivity

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The "smallest" router with dual power supplies is the 3925/E or 3945/E.

Either models also have a dual-personality SFP port.

Now the main question is PoE.  Can you explain the PoE requirement.  Do you want the PoE requirement to be on the router itself or a separate switch.

If you want the PoE requirement to be on the router itself, this will not be easy as the power controller the links the switch line card to the router has no redundancy.  If this fails, albiet rarely, your switch line card fails.

If you want your PoE to be a separate Catalyst switch, then the smallest PoE switch with dual power supply is the newly announced 2960-XR.

Data Sheet:  Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches

Q&A:  Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series

Thanks guys,

I think also 3825 offers one SFP and ability to support redundant power. I also found Power for 3825 on eBay, am I right?

Please find below the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016a8e8.html

Do you think it's good enough for me?

• The Cisco 3845 supports internal redundant power with any combination of the three supported power supplies - AC, AC-IP & DC. When redundancy for PoE is required, only the combination of two AC-IP power supplies with integrated inline power is supported.

Could you tell me when do we need Redundancy for PoE on a router?

Thanks,

Saman

You need to tell us what your are trying to do.

You can get them from e-bay but you may find difficulties when you need warranty.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Hi,

Mentioning eBay, I wanted to reason that 3825 supports dual power, evidently to have support you have to buy from the company.

The rest of my post was the main part.

Thanks,

Saman

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card