Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart license reservation for 1000+ routers

dwighterris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to deploy a setup with more than 1000 new Catalyst 8300 in a closed network. So I understand that for licensing I will go with the SLR option. Is there an option to generate/use the same activation file for all devices or do I need to use /upload for each router a file.

We have purchased all 1000+ licenses but sounds mad to do the procedure for all of them. Is there a way to do it faster for the closed networks?

3 Replies 3

@dwighterris do you have DNAC?

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this SD-WAN ? then you use smart account plug and play using with SR NO in excel (CSV) and upload, so then sync vManage with smart account to get all devices ready for onboarding.

its all depends on how your setup, you can number of option, cloud registration/ on prem license server for onboarding devices.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @dwighterris ,

if your routers have the IOS version older than 17.3.2a, you will be configuring SLR.

If your IOS version is newer than 17.3.2a, then you will be configuring Smart Licensing Using Policy - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sl_using_policy/b-sl-using-policy/info_about.html#Cisco_Reference.dita_d2ca813b-3239-45e2-a522-a6ba8946b85e

Being a closed network it's hard to say if and what can be automated, without more details. I recently had a similar experience with SLR/Smart Licensing Using Policy for a closed network of a few hundred devices and all was done manually.

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card