Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp wan connection

Hi every one

I have a doubt. how to add a device to an SNMP community?.

I mean the community already exists and it is already monitorizing by a PC (monitoring tests are performed in implemantacion possible).  and there are several teams that are monitored, but is thought to put other devices for monitoring, which makes me wonder: how do new devices could be added?  Do I have to configure any ACL?

Greetings.

2 Replies 2

Hello Johnnatan

No quite sure what you are asking  regards snmp setup but below is the basic requirements for NMS access on a switch/router

There are various optional values that can be utilised for snmp setup, but for basic snmp you will need to specify snmp server host and snmp-server communities with community string values.

The remote device specified by either an ip addresss or hostname will be the destination (NMS)that your switch/router will send snmp notifications too ( Network management systems)

snmp-server host 10.10.10.10 mycomstring (the community-string is like a password)

Then you can use different access values via different community strings with either Read&write (RW) or Read-Only(RO) to permit access to snmp on your switch/router

snmp-server community RWstring1 RW (read-write)
snmp-server community ROstring2 RO ( read-only)

This could be further controlled by acl's to permit certain networks access

access-list 10 permit ip 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

snmp-server community RWstring1 RW 10

Please look at this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/configfun/command/reference/frd3001.html#wp1022436

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the communityā€™s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

mircea.alicu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I use this to monitor my routers and sw on a cacti server:

snmp-server community mycommunityname RO

snmp-server host 10.10.10.2 version 2c mycommunityname

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card