cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Standby ASA can't login by SSH

Sudqi
Level 1
Level 1

we can't log in to a standby ASA by SSH, noted that it is have the same routs and RSA Key

anyone has an idea?

thanks

14 Replies 14

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check this thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/cisco-asa-ha-active-standby-ssh-connection-problem-with-standby/td-p/4056609

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi Marce,

thanks for your reply, I see this article it is almost the same problem with me but the solution was to generate RSA on the STB, but I already have the RSA key generated on my STB, is there any other suggestion

thank you

Hello
By default you will always connect to the active FW in that Active/standby HA cluster as both FWs are running as a single logical FW and apart from their designated roles the configuration of both FW are the same?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply, but we can access the STB because we have two management IPs

I already have another cluster with deferrent region and I can access both main and STB

- Note that these provided (example) commands can be used as a workaround , use according to your needs:

failover exec interface GigabitEthernet0/1
failover exec active show failover

M. 

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi Marce,

There is no need for a workaround in this case, we can log in locally to the STB and we don't need to be at risk of failover

Thanks

- The commands do not induce a failover but are intended to be able to execute commands on the stand-by.

M.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as long as they Active sync with mate you should be able to ssh to standby management I ( you can not do any changes - but you should able to SSH to box)

in your case looks for me RSA Keys.

a couple of questions :

1. is the new HA or working one not working?

2. Try to Active ASA to standby management IP - telnet x.x.x.x 22  ( x.x.x.x is management IP)

3. from what device you trying SSH ?

4. try to connect console see the Logs ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Thanks for your reply,

please find below the answers for your questions:

1. is the new HA or working one not working? (HA working fine)

2. Try to Active ASA to standby management IP - telnet x.x.x.x 22  ( x.x.x.x is management IP) ((we can't telnet on port 22 but we can ping the MGT IP for the STB))

3. from what device you trying SSH ? ((from end user laptop and the access is for sure allowed))

4. try to connect console see the Logs ? ((will be provided when available))

thank you

1. is the new HA or working one not working? (HA working fine)  - May this question main focussing, have this SSH worked before ?

When you get access console you see what is wrong ? i am thinking zeroing RSA keys and adding back should fx the issue ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

I don't know if the SSH worked before, but most probably not

I will send the console log ASAP I get it

Thanks

Hi Balaji,

Please note that I try to take logs after logging by ssh but no logs appear

note: the IP is reachable by ping

is there any idea?

thanks

I think newer version of the ASA software are smarter than the old ones. I have a distant recollection of having to generate RSA key on each member of the HA cluster separately, but it has been some some time. I would do this during initial configuration at the console. Generate keys on the primary, write, and then reboot. Switch cable to console of the now active secondary, generate keys, write, and reboot to make the primary active again.If you are running a version that requires a key for each HA member, be aware that you will get warning messages from your SSH client when the active unit switches.

Thanks Elliot,

I tried this solution but not work

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card