Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP Service

iceman6684
Level 1
Level 1

All,

i am trying to find a way to verify that the TFTP service is not running on the router.  i issued the no tftp-server flash: <ios> and it accepted it even though it does not show up in the show running config.   any docs would be helpful.                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the command isn't in the running config, it's disabled. The tftp server isn't turned on by default. There are version differences that seem to either support the

control-plane

command and those that don't. I have a 3845 that has it, but I have a 3825 that doesn't. Here's a 3745 that does that would show you the results should you decide to maybe update your router:

R1#sh control-plane host open-ports
Active internet connections (servers and established)

Prot        Local Address      Foreign Address                  Service    State

tcp                 *:23                  *:0                   Telnet   LISTEN

udp                 *:69                  *:0              TFTP-Server   LISTEN

R1#

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have the command, you can do:

sh control-plane host open-ports

HTH,

John

no i do not have that command available.  its a 3800 series router.

sh ip socket will show me the ports is listening on but, i was looking for a doc that states that by default the TFTP service is disabled and how to verify that it is not running.

If the command isn't in the running config, it's disabled. The tftp server isn't turned on by default. There are version differences that seem to either support the

control-plane

command and those that don't. I have a 3845 that has it, but I have a 3825 that doesn't. Here's a 3745 that does that would show you the results should you decide to maybe update your router:

R1#sh control-plane host open-ports
Active internet connections (servers and established)

Prot        Local Address      Foreign Address                  Service    State

tcp                 *:23                  *:0                   Telnet   LISTEN

udp                 *:69                  *:0              TFTP-Server   LISTEN

R1#

HTH,

John

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card