Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tools to view routing table?

Has anyone heard of a tool that you could use to view/troubleshoot routing tables? I am looking for something that would visualize routes on a diagram, showing the amount of routes that point to certain next hops. This is for maintenance windows, where I redirect traffic away from a certain router. The problem is all the show commands I see end up displaying routes across multiple lines, so you can't just include the next-hop IP and be sure you have caught every route.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

antonio.guirado
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

the best way to extract routing table from a router is snmp:

1 - ISO assigned OIDs
1.3 - ISO Identified Organization 
1.3.6 - US Department of Defense 
1.3.6.1 - OID assignments from 1.3.6.1 - Internet 
1.3.6.1.2 - IETF Management 
1.3.6.1.2.1 - SNMP MIB-2 
1.3.6.1.2.1.4 - ip 
1.3.6.1.2.1.4.21 - ipRouteTable 

For example, the following link use it from a perl script:

http://it-certification-network.blogspot.com.es/2008/12/generating-report-of-routing-table.html

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You probably already know this but you can redirect output to a file and then manipulate that data.

For example you could do:

#show ip route | redirect tftp://192.168.0.1/ip-route.txt

You can then view it is a text editor in a wide format and the lines won't wrap around. If you use something like Notepad+ you will get line numbers so you can count the lines. Or you could pull it in the excel and manipulate it there.

More recent versions of IOS include another output redirection:

#show ip route | count

Where it will count the number of lines returned by a command.

antonio.guirado
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

the best way to extract routing table from a router is snmp:

1 - ISO assigned OIDs
1.3 - ISO Identified Organization 
1.3.6 - US Department of Defense 
1.3.6.1 - OID assignments from 1.3.6.1 - Internet 
1.3.6.1.2 - IETF Management 
1.3.6.1.2.1 - SNMP MIB-2 
1.3.6.1.2.1.4 - ip 
1.3.6.1.2.1.4.21 - ipRouteTable 

For example, the following link use it from a perl script:

http://it-certification-network.blogspot.com.es/2008/12/generating-report-of-routing-table.html

Thanks for the replies, but I was hoping there was a tool that automated it somehow. I am trying to sort through hundreds of routes on the fly, so anything manual would be too much trouble.

I demo'd NetBrain about a year ago and didn't like it much. It wouldn't draw our networks properly, couldn't handle the SVI's and multiple interfaces in the same VLAN. The maps ended up looking really goofy. I also don't recall that it did anything for route table entries.

That's strange, I've never had those problems. They have some good training on their website that might have helped. It can do quite a bit with the route tables/route propogation/routing protocol visualization/etc. Maybe the product has matured since your eval.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Take a look at netbrain.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card