cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic counters on interface

vudex
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone. I'm trying to troubleshoot very slick problem, that's why I am following any suspicious behavior (for me).

We need to run traffic capturing and analyzing app, that has to be able to do deep packet inspection and able to replicate data from unencrypted protocols (ftp, http). It's third party app that runs on dedicated server and receives full copy of traffic via SPAN. Right now app can't identify files more than 10 MB, I get the same results trying to export object from HTTP via WireShark. 

My test lab looks like this

(Web Server)---VLAN100---(ASR1001X)---VLAN1903---(CISCO 3759)---(Laptop)

I am running monitor session from Cisco 3759.

Session 1
---------
Type                   : Local Session
Source Ports           : 
    Both               : Gi1/0/23
Destination Ports      : Gi1/0/11
    Encapsulation      : Native
          Ingress      : Disabled

I am downloading test .txt file with size of ~ 96MB

But output bytes on cisco 1903 interface shows approximately 75 MB

52174 packets output, 79307491 bytes

ls -sh file_test.txt 
96M file_test.txt

Is it normal behavior? In the end, I can download the whole file on the end machine, but tcpdump shows ~75 MB too.

#sh version 
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.05.01b
Cisco IOS Software [Everest], ASR1000 Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.5.1b, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2017 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 11-Apr-17 17:00 by mcpre

P.S regarding to general problem - I am trying to identify congestion, but can't find any drops on interfaces, participating in test lab.

2 Replies 2

Hello,

I am not clear on where the 'original' 96MB size file arrives. Where do you see the file size ?

Checking it on the Linux based Web Server

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card