cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic shaping on a 7206 VXR

levin.davie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I am in a situation where I need to be able to do some traffic shaping at 200 Mbps (which might get upgraded to 300 Mbps) metro Ethernet WAN link. Currently the circuit is connected to a 3550 switch that is not capable of that. I happen to have two 7206 VXR routers with network processing engine 300’s sitting on a shelf. Would these have the CPU power to handle traffic shaping at 300 Mbps? I would need to purchase gigabit ethernet port adapter pa-ge’s for this, or some other Gige card if there are others.

If this is not doable, can someone recommend a router that would be good for this purpose? It does not need to be the latest new, I would actually prefer a slightly older model that I could pick up refurbished for less $.

Thanks!             

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would not advise using a NPE-300 for 200 to 300 Mbps of traffic.  Worst case (minimum size) Ethernet requires 148.8 Kpps, per 100 Mbps, so 300 Mbps (duplex) could need about 900 Kpps, much more than NPE-300 supports.  Features, such as shaping, will also consume CPU cycles.  So, in the 7200 series, you'll likely want a NPE-G1 or -G2.

In ISRs, a 3925 might just do, a 3945, 3925E or 3945E should do.  Older ISRs, look to be too slow.

The ASR 1000 series has the performance; assuming they support shaping.

Besides routers, newer LAN switches, e.g. 2960 or 3560/3750 series (any generation), support "shaping" by controlling the transmission cycle of the port (srr-queue bandwidth limit).

In switches, I think some of the MetroEthernet varieties support shaping.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would not advise using a NPE-300 for 200 to 300 Mbps of traffic.  Worst case (minimum size) Ethernet requires 148.8 Kpps, per 100 Mbps, so 300 Mbps (duplex) could need about 900 Kpps, much more than NPE-300 supports.  Features, such as shaping, will also consume CPU cycles.  So, in the 7200 series, you'll likely want a NPE-G1 or -G2.

In ISRs, a 3925 might just do, a 3945, 3925E or 3945E should do.  Older ISRs, look to be too slow.

The ASR 1000 series has the performance; assuming they support shaping.

Besides routers, newer LAN switches, e.g. 2960 or 3560/3750 series (any generation), support "shaping" by controlling the transmission cycle of the port (srr-queue bandwidth limit).

In switches, I think some of the MetroEthernet varieties support shaping.

Thank you for your answer, very helpful!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card