cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using SLA for gateway of last resort for specific subnet

TRACY HARTMANN
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get a ip SLA to change the gateway of last resort for a specific subnet.  This is what I have so far...

IP SLA

ip sla 10
icmp-echo 10.20.0.90 (router I want to be gateway of last resort for specific subnets

ip sla schedule 10 life forever start-time now
route-map last_resort permit 10
match ip address test

ip access-list extended testzscaler
permit ip host 10.3.20.2 any  ( just trying one address for now)

ip local policy route-map zscaler_last_resort
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.20.0.90 track 10  Only for specific subnets
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.20.0.1 200   Default for everyone else

If I trace from the switch everything goes out the 10.20.0.90.  However I just want the 10.3.20.2 to go that way.

Tracy

36 Replies 36

rais
Level 7
Level 7

I don't know how SLA could help.

You should either use PBR or vrf

HTH.

I have a 3750 and the command i want to use is set ip default next-hop but that doesn't work on a 3750.   I am trying to find a different way to do the same thing.   What would be an example of a VRF?  Sorry I haven't used one of those.

There has to be a router/L3 switch in your network. How will 10.3.x.x  go to 10.20.x.x subnet?

Thanks.

This is a layer 3 switch, it just does not accept the ip default next-hop command.  That is why I am looking for a different way to do what I need.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Here I noticed that you didn't applied correct acl under the route-map. The ACL name is different.

As you mentioned that set default gateway command is not working so did you tried with "Set next-hop ...." Command.

If it is not working then please verify the switch IOS version and Switch SDM templete. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Sorry I shortened the ACL name when I copied it over but it is correct on my switch.

I have been told that the set ip default next-hop is not an available on the 3750 no matter the ios.   That is why I am trying to do the same thing but with a SLA.

the sdm is desktop routing

Thanks

Hi,

I checked documents and it is available on 3750 switch but keep in mind that you need some things to be ready

SDM Template:

Desktop dual IPv4 and IPv6 routing template

Licenses/IOS Image:

You need IPservices to be able to do PBR, verify with sh version | i IOS

IP Routing:

Must be enabled on the switch.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Which documents did you check ? 

I have just checked the latest configuration guides and it is still listed as an unsupported command. 

Can you provide a link to where it says it is supported ?

Jon

Hi,

Here is the link: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/15-0_2_se/configuration/guide/scg3750.pdf

Page number: 1056

and

http://cisco2960.over-blog.com/2013/12/cisco-3750-switch-pbr.html

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Neither of those links mention "set ip defaut next-hop ..." command which is what is needed if you want to use the routing first and then the PBR next hop. 

Jon

I have ip routing on, the sdm prefer is desktop routing and I have ip servers.  PBR does work on the 3750 but not the specific command ip default next-hop..

If there is something else I need to do to get it to work that would be great, otherwise I need a different way to do it.  Again I am trying to have the gateway of last resort to be different for a specific subnet.

Thanks

I have ip routing on, the sdm prefer is desktop routing and I have ip servers.  PBR does work on the 3750 but not the specific command ip default next-hop..

If there is something else I need to do to get it to work that would be great, otherwise I need a different way to do it.  Again I am trying to have the gateway of last resort to be different for a specific subnet.

Thanks

Hello,

can you post your full config ? It might be easier to explain what I have in mind when I can add the lines mentioned, seeing your full configuration...

Below is what I have configured with SLA since I don't think I can use the ip default next-hop...If I can I will add that configuration underneath the SLA one

IP SLA

ip sla 10
icmp-echo 10.20.0.90 (router I want to be gateway of last resort for specific subnets

ip sla schedule 10 life forever start-time now
route-map last_resort permit 10
match ip address test

permit ip host 10.3.20.2 any  ( just trying one address for now)

ip local policy route-map zscaler_last_resort
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.20.0.90 track 10  Only for specific subnets
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.20.0.1 200   Default for everyone else

If I trace from the switch everything goes out the 10.20.0.90.  However I just want the 10.3.20.2 to go that way.

Config with PBR

permit ip host 10.3.20.2 any
permit ip host 10.30.20.1 any

route-map zscaler_last_resort permit 10
match ip address testzscaler
set ip default next-hop 10.20.0.90

on the interface I place the ip policy but because we are on a 3750 it doesn't show up or work unless I take the word default out on the next hop in the route-map,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card