Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan not working on AP (Aironet 1100)

roncro
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I set up a vlan, vlan10, and it doesn't seem to be working.  I posted the configs from, AP (aironet 1100), switches (Cisco 2960) and router (Cisco 2951), and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. (I am sure i forgot to do something, been a while since I created a vlan)

when I do a "show vlan brief" I don't see it, so I guess it is not active.

North#show vlan brief

VLAN Name Status Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
1 default active Gi1/0/2, Gi1/0/4, Gi1/0/6, Gi1/0/8, Gi1/0/9, Gi1/0/10, Gi1/0/11, Gi1/0/12, Gi1/0/17, Gi1/0/18, Gi1/0/19
Gi1/0/20, Gi1/0/21, Gi1/0/23, Gi1/0/25, Gi1/0/26, Gi1/0/27
2 PUB-ACC-SERVER active Gi1/0/1, Gi1/0/3, Gi1/0/5, Gi1/0/7
3 TM-WIRELESS_DEVICES active
4 TM-D_VLAN_4 active
5 TM-W_VLAN_5 active
6 TM-T_VLAN_6 active
7 The_Matrix_VLAN_7 active
8 VLAN_8_SEISMO active
37 WAP_TRUNK_VLAN_37 active
1002 fddi-default act/unsup
1003 token-ring-default act/unsup
1004 fddinet-default act/unsup
1005 trnet-default act/unsup

So vlan10 is not in the list and also doesn't show active. How do I make vlan 10 active ?

thanks,

Ron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
Looks like the vlan isn't created at a L2 level, make sure the switch is allowed to create the vlan
If vtp is active and is in client mode vlan creation will be negated 

sh vtp status

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello
Looks like the vlan isn't created at a L2 level, make sure the switch is allowed to create the vlan
If vtp is active and is in client mode vlan creation will be negated 

sh vtp status

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,

that was exactly the reason...  (I had 'ahah moment' driving to town,  "....  well if you don't create it you can configure all you want", so you were totally right.

It's working now.

thanks!

Ron

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @roncro ,

Like @paul driver mentioned, you cannot configure vlans on a switch that is VTP client. The message you get in this case is:

sw3(config)#vlan 10
VTP VLAN configuration not allowed when device is in CLIENT mode.

If this is your only switch, not connected to other switches, you can change the VTP mode to transparent:

sw3(config)#vtp mode transparent

and configure your vlans manually on the switch.

If your switch is connected with other switches, you should investigate them and maybe one, or more, are in the VTP Server mode. In this case you should configure the vlans on any of the switches in VTP Server mode.

Hope it helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

I already had vlans on it, and they were working.  But Paul was correct,  I forgot to actually create the vlan itself.

thanks though!

Ron

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card