Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC and BGP

torstensson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all! 

I have a short, almost yes or no, question regarding datacenter routing. Is it best practice/recommended to run iBGP between two devices that are already connected through vPC. In this case two Top-of-Rack Nexus 9300-series. 

Br

Lars

Lars
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

is the proposed diagram or exiting arrangments ? ( as i take it suggested design) - thinking now TOR is just Layer 2

if the device need peering with BGP, its not necessary neet to run the BGP process on TOR, you can do BGP Peer with Parent Device NExus 7K ? i do not see any Limitation here ? ( do you or missing something here )

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

TOP Rack is just Layer 2, so Personally NO.

BB

Is it even supported or just not recommended?

Lars

it is supported depends on the model and requirement, TOR we expect to be just Layer 2, (personally i will not recomend)

but if the design demands, you need to change the requirement, not sure why you need BGP (if that is end of network ? ) there is no network to anounce or do Traffic Engineering there ?

BB

The reason for the BGP part is that the bottom switches are supposed to be connected to NSX-T and they "require" BGP peering to work. But this seems way to complicated to be needed

I've attached the suggested design.

Lars

is the proposed diagram or exiting arrangments ? ( as i take it suggested design) - thinking now TOR is just Layer 2

if the device need peering with BGP, its not necessary neet to run the BGP process on TOR, you can do BGP Peer with Parent Device NExus 7K ? i do not see any Limitation here ? ( do you or missing something here )

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card