Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC support on ISR 4321/4331

Vincent Fortrat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a customer who has ISR 4331 and 4321 on branch sites. There is no UCS-E modules but we do have 200GB SSD storage and 8/16GB of RAM. In this configuration, is it possible and supported to run a low scale vWLC as a service container ?

Thanks,

Vincent

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry yes that's the architecture behind Mobility Express.

If you're looking to upgrade the APs, you might want to take a look at the 18/28/3800 APs with Mobility Express. You don't need an additional WLC then. The WLC2504 is also a really good option that isn't too expensive. Finally, if they have an ISR4K you could use a NIM UCS-E with vWLC (UCS-EN140N-M2/K9). Least expensive would probably be the Mobility Express route followed by the 2504 and finally the UCS-E although I'm not certain on pricing.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mcotherman
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested in this also...

CCIE# 6771

Technically this is possible. However the WLC product team has decided not to productize a KVM version of vWLC running on an ISR. That could change in the future with either a hosted KVM WLC (vWLC) or WLC functionality native on the ISR4K. Because we share a code base with the Catalyst series of switches, both of these are possibilities.

Thank you, is the eWLC you are referring to the same as mobility express?

I google 'cisco eWLC' and the only results from Cisco are a couple bug reports...

just looking to replace a customers ISR/NM-WLC6/1242G solution without breaking the bank...

CCIE# 6771

Sorry yes that's the architecture behind Mobility Express.

If you're looking to upgrade the APs, you might want to take a look at the 18/28/3800 APs with Mobility Express. You don't need an additional WLC then. The WLC2504 is also a really good option that isn't too expensive. Finally, if they have an ISR4K you could use a NIM UCS-E with vWLC (UCS-EN140N-M2/K9). Least expensive would probably be the Mobility Express route followed by the 2504 and finally the UCS-E although I'm not certain on pricing.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card