Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Redundancy

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I know that with Serial interfaces I can do MLPPP but so far what I have seen says that the serial interface get a "no IP address" and joined to the multilink bundle which has the IP address.  What can I do to bundle something like a cable Internet connection and  DSL or metro E?  All would have an Ethernet handoffs but all of these types of circuits also require, I think, and IP address.

Goal would be to load share across the circuits or second choice, to have  the backup link activate as soon as the primary link goes down.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AhmedSonba
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Yes you can achieve that by using static routes with object tacking, the example below will show you

more details

Normally  you will need two default routes one that points to the main ISP "Lets say metro ethernet "  and  the other points to the second back ISP DSL " than you have a  link with object tracking on  the main ISP normally you should give the main route lower  administrative distance

for example :

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 source-interface FastEthernet0 " interface with the main ISP"

timeout 500

threshold 500

frequency 3

ip sla schedule 1life forever start-time now

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability

delay down 10 up 20

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.1 track 1 " Main route"

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  192.168.2.1  7 "Backup route"

In this case the main route to the ISP went down the backup route will take over and be installed in the routing table

also You will need to add a static route for the Google DNS that point’s to the first ISP

Like the following:

IP route 8.8.8.8 255.255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1

Please refer the following link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

Hope this will help

Ahmed Sonab

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

AhmedSonba
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Yes you can achieve that by using static routes with object tacking, the example below will show you

more details

Normally  you will need two default routes one that points to the main ISP "Lets say metro ethernet "  and  the other points to the second back ISP DSL " than you have a  link with object tracking on  the main ISP normally you should give the main route lower  administrative distance

for example :

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 source-interface FastEthernet0 " interface with the main ISP"

timeout 500

threshold 500

frequency 3

ip sla schedule 1life forever start-time now

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability

delay down 10 up 20

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.1 track 1 " Main route"

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  192.168.2.1  7 "Backup route"

In this case the main route to the ISP went down the backup route will take over and be installed in the routing table

also You will need to add a static route for the Google DNS that point’s to the first ISP

Like the following:

IP route 8.8.8.8 255.255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1

Please refer the following link for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

Hope this will help

Ahmed Sonab

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card