cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what am I doing wrong with this configuration

TrevilBaker5009
Level 1
Level 1

I recently got hired as a network admin at a small company.  They have a single ASA5505 running 8.2(5) as the core layer 3 and DHCP server.  The network also includes four layer2 switches that operator as unmanaged on vlan 1 ONLY.  My employer is not interested in upgrading nor purchasing a later model ASA.  The environment is currently running a flat network of 192.168.10.0/24.  He wants the network to have multiple vlans to separate the clients per department.  

My implementation:

1. I've already created all VLANs on all 4 of the switches (10, 20, 30)

2. I've created trunk links between the ports of the 4 switches

3. I've created the same VLANs on the ASA

int vlan 10

nameif inside-sales

security-level 100

ip address 10.0.10.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

int vlan 20 

nameif inside-admin

security-level 100

ip add 10.0.20.1 255.255.255.0 

no shut 

int vlan 30 

nameif inside-comms

security-level 100

ip add 10.0.30.1 255.255.255.0 

no shut 

same-security-traffic permit inter-interface

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  x.x.x.x

int e0/0

nameif outside

security-level 0

switchport access vlan 2

int e0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,10,20,30

dhcpd address 10.0.10.10-10.0.10.250 inside-sales
dhcpd dns x.x.x.x x.x.x.x interface inside-sales
dhcpd domain mydomain interface inside-sales
dhcpd option 3 ip 10.0.10.1 interface inside-sales
dhcpd enable inside-sales

dhcpd address 10.0.20.10-10.0.20.250 inside-admin
dhcpd dns x.x.x.x x.x.x.x interface inside-admin
dhcpd domain mydomain interface inside-admin
dhcpd option 3 ip 10.0.20.1 interface inside-admin
dhcpd enable inside-admin

dhcpd address 10.0.30.10-10.0.30.250 inside-comms
dhcpd dns x.x.x.x x.x.x.x interface inside-comms
dhcpd domain mydomain interface inside-comms
dhcpd option 3 ip 10.0.30.1 interface inside-comms
dhcpd enable inside-comms

FOr some reason, the PC's are not getting an IP address from the DHCP server nor do they have internet connectivity.  What am I doing wrong. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TrevilBaker5009
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guy. I found the problem. It was the native vlan. On a switch / router the native vlan is default to vlan 1.  BUT on a ASA 5505, once u setup a trunk link, u have to set a native vlan, other there will be no native vlan for trunk. The same thing applies for allowed vlans on the trunk. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This article is very good.  but the asa 5505 is using switchports so I cannot create sub-interfaces as described in the article. 

make accordingly suggested document.  still not working, post switch and ASA config

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

pieterh
VIP
VIP

your info does not mention the switchport connected to the ASA is configured as trunk -> please check
also check this port is not blocked by spanning-tree

Yes I forgot to mention but all switch are connected via trunk links and also the switch that is connected to the ASA is also a trunk link.  

I am aware that on the ASA 5505 all the ports are switch ports.  so I also have the inside port (e0/1) of the asa configured as a trunk as well.  

Hello,

remove the allowed Vlans from the trunks (both on the ASA and the connecting switch):

ASA

int e0/1
--> switchport mode trunk

Switch

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

--> switchport mode trunk

What is the ASA connected to on the outside ? There is no Vlan 2 interface, and no NAT.

Thanks for the reply.  I did as you suggested and removed the specified vlans but still not working.  

I did exclude some of the configurations.  like nat and the vlan 2 (outside/public interface) config.  but I no these are working. 

Hello,

ok. Is the link actually up/up on both sides ? What if you assign a static IP address to one of the clients, can that client than ping the Vlan interface ?

Check if the interface connected to the switch supports subinterfaces (I think you need the Security Plus license installed for that:

int e0/1.10
description inside-sales
vlan 10
nameif inside-sales
security-level 100
ip address 10.0.10.1 255.255.255.0

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes the license is a Security plus.  These 5505 does not not support sub-interfaces so I cannot use (e0/1.10).  i would have to setup SVI's with a trunk link.  but even that is not working. 

Hello,

I wasn't sure if that ASA does or does not support subinterfaces...it does not apparently.

How about the static IP address on a client ? Does that work ?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@TrevilBaker5009 wrote:

They have a single ASA5505 running 8.2(5) as the core layer 3 and DHCP server.

Please read Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software and Firepower Threat Defense Software Web Services Read-Only Path Traversal Vulnerability.

Pay close attention to the Exploitation and Public Announcements section, which states: 

The Cisco Product Security Incident Response Team (PSIRT) is aware of the existence of public exploit code and active exploitation of the vulnerability that is described in this advisory.

TrevilBaker5009
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guy. I found the problem. It was the native vlan. On a switch / router the native vlan is default to vlan 1.  BUT on a ASA 5505, once u setup a trunk link, u have to set a native vlan, other there will be no native vlan for trunk. The same thing applies for allowed vlans on the trunk. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card