cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What command in IOS will allow me to interrupt debugging output information?

The51stAgent
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I'm still relatively new to this, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I tried googling this but cannot figure it out.  I wanted to see debugging in action on my Cisco Router (1841) so I turned icmp debugging on. Then I used windows command prompt to run a continuous ping (ping -t). I am seeing the debugging log spit out a new line every second now, as expected. But how can I stop it? I thought CTRL-Shift-6 or CTRL-Shift-6 and then "x" is supposed to stop the outputs from coming, but none of these are working for me. As it stands, it won't give me time to even press any command. Clearly I could just stop the continuous ping from windows command prompt, but there has to be a way in IOS for me to stop the outputs. Please help!
Thank you,

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
undebug all

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

#un al  (blind command you won't be able to view)

if you are too many messages coming in, wait for some time or type for a couple of sometimes.

if you have started debug in the busiest box in the network, you might have locked up already(i do not believe the above command works), the only option you have to reload here. ( only after issuing that command 3 or 4 times un all, then stop then you do not have any option here)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

if you debugs are preventing you from turning of debug then Disable-uplug  it's connected interface.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are some things that we do not know about your situation and so are limited in giving appropriate advice. As a start, how are you connected to the router? Is this a console connection or is this a telnet/SSH connection? Managing debug output on a console connection is a bit more of a challenge and so I would suggest that you use telnet/SSH to do your debug and manage the output.

If this is a console connection I would offer this suggestion about how to manage your debug output:

- enter the command undebug all (or perhaps no debug all)

- hit enter (the command executes but has no real effect)

- enter your debug command (command executes and debug output begins)

- watch some of the debug output

- hit the up arrow 2 times and then hit enter (it brings up the undebug all command and executes it)

- debug output ceases (it  may take a little time for the console to catch up with this)

- your are back to a normal operating environment and can examine your debug output that should be in the screen buffer.

If you are going to use telnet/SSH connection I would offer this suggestion about how to manage your debug output:

- establish 2 telnet/SSH sessions to the router.

- on the first session use the terminal monitor command to see output as it occurs

- on the second session enter the debug command

- let enough debug output accumulate on the first session

- on the second session enter the command undebug all

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card