cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

why "neighbor X.X.X.X default-originate" command is not working in bgp ?

zobaerzihan
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a single-homed, bgp default route from an ISP_router to Customer_router in packet tracer .

whenever i tried to set a default route to ISP, i used the command  

neighbor X.X.X.X default-originate

to advertise the route, but it is not accepting the command anyway !

what might be the reason ?

N.B : I am a beginner, i don't know every detail about BGP. So, there might be a mistake anywhere, i just can't find it.

I desperately need this to be solved. It will be very helpful to get the commands of the ISP_router concerning the protocol bgp.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

depending on which Packet Tracer version you are using, the BGP commands available are very limited. I am using version 7.3.0, and it does not allow me to configure iBGP neighbors. The

default-originate

command is also not available. So you are running into the limitations of Packet Tracer, which does not run full IOS versions, but rather subsets of it, with limited commands.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1

To find reason why it's not accepting the command you would actually need to share some BGP configuration and exact error which showing after you putting this command on the device. As a workaround you can try with

default information originate

but this will advertise default route to all BGP neighbors so if you have one BGP peer then there will be no difference but if you have more than one BGP peer and you need to advertise default route only to one peer you can't use this command because you will advertise default route to all of them.

The command should work, we have used it many times. Can you check if the device model number and version if that supports.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Hello,

depending on which Packet Tracer version you are using, the BGP commands available are very limited. I am using version 7.3.0, and it does not allow me to configure iBGP neighbors. The

default-originate

command is also not available. So you are running into the limitations of Packet Tracer, which does not run full IOS versions, but rather subsets of it, with limited commands.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card