Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIN SCP NOT WORKING OVER A GRE TUNNEL

I have a problem in that WINCP or any other FTP/SFTP program is not working over WAN links using GRE Tunnels

Anyone with a clue

6 Replies 6

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Any problems I have had in the past with applications when using GRE have always been related to MTU. Not saying this is what your issue is, as we have very little to go on.

You might want to start with packet captures on both ends of the tunnel while testing FTP and also revisiting the MTUs on each end. Out of interest, does TFTP work?

Configs, Diagram and PCAPs would help in troubleshooting further.

I have tried to alter the MTUs but its not helping. Currently set at 1400. TFTP does work perfectly well.

Will share configs and PCAPs

For the chosen / tested MTUs - how did you come up with these? I am not sure if you have access to the end devices but have you tested different MTU sizes with the DF bit set, e.g

You can test this from a windows machine or Cisco Device itself. See below for one of my own sites. Ping source is HQ - Destination WAN is GRE/IPSEC

On a windows machine -

-f = sets the DF bit
-l = buffer size

ping 10.99.0.1 -f -l 1480

Pinging 10.99.0.1 with 1480 bytes of data:
Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.
Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

ping 10.99.0.1 -f -l 1380

Pinging 10.99.0.1 with 1380 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.99.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),
Control-C

ping 10.99.0.1 -f -l 1370

Pinging 10.99.0.1 with 1370 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.99.0.1: bytes=1370 time=145ms TTL=252
Reply from 10.99.0.1: bytes=1370 time=120ms TTL=252

Note that I did not get a reply until I used 1370 above, however this would not be the optimum tunnel MTU but it then gives you a figure to then work from.

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Are you using IPSEC also?

I am also running IPSEC yes.

Combining GRE with IPsec makes it even more likely that Grant has correctly identified the issue. How are you changing the MTU? I have found using ip tcp adjust-mss to be an effective way of solving this kind of issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card