cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC High Availability SSO - Primary doesn't revert back to become Active after Failover

hbaytie01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two WLCs 5520's with version 8.2.151.0, once the Primary fails the secondary takes over and becomes the active automatically which is good. However once the primary becomes online again, it doesn't return back to become the active again unless I manually use the command in the secondary which is the active "redundancy force-switchover ". Is it normal or it must switch automatically?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @hbaytie01

This is the expect behavior. There´s no preempt for Cisco WLC HA process.

Cisco Says:

"There is no preempt functionality. When the previous Active WLC comes back, it will not take the role of the Active WLC, but will negotiate its state with the current Active WLC and transition to a Standby state. The Active and Standby decision is not an automated election process. The Active/Standby WLC is decided based on HA SKU (Manufacturing Ordered UDI) from release 7.3 onwards. A WLC with HA SKU UDI will always be the Standby WLC for the first time when it boots and pairs up with a WLC running a permanent count license. For existing WLCs having a permanent count license, the Active/Standby decision can be made based on manual configuration."

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello @hbaytie01

This is the expect behavior. There´s no preempt for Cisco WLC HA process.

Cisco Says:

"There is no preempt functionality. When the previous Active WLC comes back, it will not take the role of the Active WLC, but will negotiate its state with the current Active WLC and transition to a Standby state. The Active and Standby decision is not an automated election process. The Active/Standby WLC is decided based on HA SKU (Manufacturing Ordered UDI) from release 7.3 onwards. A WLC with HA SKU UDI will always be the Standby WLC for the first time when it boots and pairs up with a WLC running a permanent count license. For existing WLCs having a permanent count license, the Active/Standby decision can be made based on manual configuration."

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Crystal Clear, Thanks very much for your answer.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card