cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wr erase - reload gottcha with 6500

per_2
Level 1
Level 1

I've never been bit by using this method to wipe a device configuration and start over, until yesterday.

I've got a 6503, SupII/MSFC running Native code, so I'm pointing the boot variable to disk0: (bootflash is not large enough for the image file).  In using the wr erase, the boot variable is getting wiped as the wr erase removes all nvram files, and apparently the boot variable is stored there.  I also tried the erase start, which also hits everything in nvram.  So I'm learning more about commands I've been using for a long time. 

So, does anyone have a clean way to wipe a config without forcing the router into ROMMON to reset the boot variable, or do I need to just expect that is part of the standard approach?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

What I do is perform a wr erase, this erases the flash config.  Then I have a clean minimal config on a tftp server - I just then copy the config from the tftp server directly into startup-config and reload.

HTH>

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

What I do is perform a wr erase, this erases the flash config.  Then I have a clean minimal config on a tftp server - I just then copy the config from the tftp server directly into startup-config and reload.

HTH>

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card