Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst C8300-1N1S-4T2X

andreaharris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need help settling an internal dispute. I need to confirm that since this chassis states it has

2 x 10Gbps and 4 x 1Gbps embedded Layer3 Ethernet ports

Does that mean that the optical ports on this chassis support 1G optics in addition to 10G optics?

Your technical input is greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution
7 Replies 7

Hi,

1G ports support 1G copper cables. These ports are normal dedicated RJ-45 ports.

10G ports are SFP/SFP+ , so it supports both 1G and 10G (SFP+ is normally backward compatible). You can connect 1G fiber SFP or 10G fiber SFP or even 1G copper SFP.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/cloud_edge/c8300/hardware_installation/b-catalyst-8300-series-edge-platforms-hig/m-overview.html

See figure1 and table1.

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

The referenced figure/table (C8300-1N1S-4T2X|6T Chassis - I/O Side) is for 2 models. C8300-1N1S-4T2X and C8300-1N1S-6T. Both models look identical with the differentiating factor being the opticals. 4T2X states 10Gsfp+ and 6T states 1G SFP. There is no mention of dual speed capability for the SFP+ so where is the documentation that can confirm the 10G sfp+ is actually dual speed?

I didn't meet any models which can 10G sfp+ and couldn't work with 1G sfp. It's true for cisco

Hi,

just note that "T" means on-board RJ-45. These ports are not optical.

Regarding, 1G support, Cisco SFP+ is backward compatible, supports 1G SFP. In production we use 1G SFP which is connected to 10G SFP+ port.

Also, above dijix1990 has already provided link from FAQ.

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

Hi,

Please refer to the datasheet for the C8300 in the integrated ports section reads:

PabMar_0-1682067220664.png

So,

The  C8300-1N1S-6T will have 2x SFP (1G) ports.

The C8300-1N1S-4T2X will have 2x SFP+ (10G) ports.

If you also refer to the TMG optics matrix for the 4T2X variant, you'll notice that those ports, can take a multitude of transceivers (fiber, copper, DAC, AOC). With both speeds 10G and 1G supported.

Hope that helps clear the doubts.

Regards.

This was the type of confirmation i was looking for because we have been having nothing but issues attempting to bring layer 1 up using a 1G sfp in the SFP+ ports. We did all the layer 1 troubleshooting and even confirmed good light being rx. loopbacks and all but always down or would come up temp then go back down and wouldnt restore. On 1 we couldn't get it to come up until we actually installed the nim and moved the same sfp to the nim 1G port and it came up fine. Also we found in the documentation it only listed 10G as being supported for SFP+

GE or SFP Ports

The following GE and SFP ports are available on the Catalyst 8300 series edge platforms:

GE Ports

The GE RJ-45 copper interface ports support 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T.

SFP Ports

The small-form-factor pluggable (SFP) ports support 1Gbps SFP modules.

SFP+ Ports

The enhanced small-form-factor pluggable (SFP) ports support 10 Gbps SFP+ modules.

So Thank you very helpful.