Views
Helpful
Replies

Meraki Security Appliances

Senbonzakura
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question,

Whats how are the meraki firewall walls compared to the ASA Firewalls? Why would someone choose one over the other and in what situations?

I'm sure one can do what another can't but what warrants that? What are your thoughts about the two types of equipment?

6 Replies 6

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

Meraki MX security appliances are cloud based managed devices and Cisco security appliances solution is on prem solution with higher throughput on devices and for large organizations. I will share a deck on that soon comparing both

Regards

Inderdeep

***RATE MY RESPONSE****

Hi,

As it was mentioned previously Meraki is handled through Meraki Cloud, Cisco Meraki MX firewalls and ASA are robust platforms but with differences, for example the management, you cannot use FTD in Meraki but it includes AMP and IPS in advanced security license, CLI is not supported in Meraki but ASA. Meraki supports Umbrella integration. You can also evaluate the size of the company where the firewall will be installed. In my personal point of view, I love ASA and its CLI interface but some networkers could find more easy use GUI. I think ASA will be replaced by Firepower totally in a future, Firepower is a robust platform, CPU, RAM, ports bandwidth capacity, etc.

Regards.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

So in short, it totally depends on what you need for the needs of that business. Anything that Small to Medium its a safe bet to go with Meraki but anything on a larger scale you'll want to go with the ASA/Fire Power solutions.

Both are amazing products in my opinion and I love CLI. I've done all of that, but I've never touched a meraki so I'm trying to learn more about them.

Yes i prefer to take Meraki MX security appliances for Small to Medium ( sometimes) but for larger organizations i always prefer with Cisco FTD/ASA.

Regards
Inderdeep Singh

***Rate my response if you ike my reply**

Yes, Meraki is seen for small and medium business, it is very easy to use but take in consideration Meraki is also designing for large companies. Also take in consideration Meraki RA VPN does not use VPN Client like Anyconnect, instead it uses windows integrated vpn, same for other OS.

ASA and Firepower use Anyconnect and it can be used along with Umbrella.

Regards.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

Hope it clarifies now.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card