cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running vs Local Configuration

RS19
Level 4
Level 4

In v Manage under configuration devices , under each device there is below 2 options.

image.png

Would like to know what is the difference between running & local configuration.

6 Replies 6

ekhabaro
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi!
If your device is detached from template and in CLI mode, configuration on vManage (local configuration) may be different form configuration on vEdge (running configuration).

https://sdwan-docs.cisco.com/Product_Documentation/vManage_Help/Release_18.3/Configuration/Devices

View a Device's Configuration
To view a device's configuration created using Configuration ► Templates:

In the WAN Edge List or Controllers tab, select the device.
Click the More Actions icon to the right of the row and click Local Configuration.

View a Device's Running Configuration
To view a device's running configuration:

In the WAN Edge List or Controllers tab, select the device.
Click the More Actions icon to the right of the row and click Running Configuration.

elesani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Running Configuration will be pulled out from the device at the time you pick it - so the device should be online at the given time

Local Configuration is what vManage has as expected/latest configuration running on the device - so you can retrieve that even if the device is offline at a given time.

In the idle situation, Running Configuration and Local Configuration should be the same. 

Thanks.

In my setup both the running & local configurations are different.

What could be the reason for the same ?

Also was looking for Cisco article explaining this. Could not find.

If you have the same please share.

Any inputs regarding this ?

Also looking to understand when to refer the running configuration & when to refer local configuration ?

I am using ISR 10001. Is this something related to cEdge & vEdge ?

Hi elesani,

It does seem to work that way. I did a few tests and this is what I observed.

If I make a change in CLI (say system-ip), then I see the system-ip updated on both running and local configs. Running-config is fine, but howcome vManage updates the local config when CLI changes are made? As per my understanding, Local config is the config generated by vManage the last time the template/CG was deployed. But my tests show the other way. Also, different parameters behave differently. site-id changes go out of sync, but system-ip change syncs with all the configs.

Few hours of testing, I am still unable to fully understand the diff between these two.

Why is such a simple thing looks so complicated?

Thanks,

Mohan

Hi,

Running configuration is identical with "show sdwan running" CLI command output.

Local configuration is classic viptela (vedge) style output which is almost the same as running config, but also contains some default default which are not seen in running config (show sdwan run).

HTH,
Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.