Helpful
Comments
dm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I run 6.2.3.15.

When I click download updates in ASDM I get:

Download updates failed: Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with known CA certificates

I have 3 identical devices and all of them have the same problem..

How can I fix this?

Thank you!

20 Comments
jeckert
Level 1
Level 1

Dave van roy,

Can you share any more info on your workaround like the case number.  I have a case open with TAC on the same issue any my engineer is telling there is no work around other than manually uploading updates when I want them. 

Jeckert,

I opened a TAC yesterday and received the scripts and certificates needed to correct this issue. Be persistent, make sure they know you are on a 5506 and cannot upgrade to 6.4, reference this thread and bug CSCvm81052. PM me if you still need a TAC case number to reference. 

d9ed
Level 1
Level 1

After spending 4 hours tracing the Perl scripts in /usr/local/sf/lib/perl/5.10.1/SF

I finally found the solution to this problem.

You need to have DigiCert Global Root CA and Thawte RSA CA 2018, in the /etc/sf/keys/fireamp/thawte_roots

Step 1: Go into expert mode to gain shell access.

Step 2: Use "sudo su" to switch to "root".

Step 3: Navigate to this path "/etc/sf/keys/fireamp/thawte_roots", and use "touch" to create 2 files named "thawte_RSA_CA_2018.pem" and "DigiCert_Global_Root_CA.pem"

Step 4: Use "chown" to change ownership of those files to the same as the rest of the file in that folder.

Step 5: Use "chgrp" to change group of those files to "floppy".

Step 6: Use "vi" to modify each file (and use ":wq" to save the changes) and paste the contents of the root CA you download from https://www.digicert.com/kb/digicert-root-certificates.htm

Step 7: Generate openssl hash value for those files using "openssl x509 -hash -noout -in <your pem filename here>"

Step 8: Make note of the hash values because you need to create symbolic link use "ln -s" command to point to those two PEM files. The symbolic file name should be hash value plus ".0". For example: "3513523f.0" points to "DigiCert_Global_Root_CA.pem"

Step 9: Just reload the device and it should update as usual.

pthuland
Level 1
Level 1

This solution worked perfectly for an FMCv 6.2.3 which had the same issues. I did not have to reload the fmc.

Adding the certificates on the fmc also solved a problem I had with a 5508 with firepower services that did not want to update the policy.

jnndpp
Level 1
Level 1

Had a similar issue when downloading updates via FMC v 7.0.1
My setup has my FMC behind a proxy.

solution provided by TAC was as follows:

ssh into FMC, go into "expert" mode and enter administrative mode with "sudo su"
backup the current root bundle with "mv /etc/sf/keys/fireamp/thawte_roots /etc/sf/keys/fireamp/thawte_roots_bk"

v7.0.1 seems to already come with an updated CA root bundle which is located at "/etc/ssl/certs/"
To cause the updated CA root bundle to be used for subsequent downloads, issue the command "ln -s /etc/ssl/certs/ /etc/sf/keys/fireamp/thawte_roots"

Enter the command "ls -l /etc/sf/keys/fireamp/thawte_roots" to verify the current root bundle used for downloads.  The output should point to /etc/ssl/certs/

After following these steps, I was able to download updates from FMC without errors. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: