Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 3064 Airflow Question

steven.palmer1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We have 3 Cisco Nexus 3064 switches in different locations and due to airflow, we need to change the fans.

According to the Cisco website, these are hot swappable, but would you need to swap the PSU's as well?

From the Show environment

Fan:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fan Model Hw Direction Status
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fan1(sys_fan1) N3K-C3064-FAN-F 0.0 front-to-back Ok
Fan_in_PS1 N2200-PAC-400W -- front-to-back Ok
Fan_in_PS2 N2200-PAC-400W -- front-to-back Ok

If I need to swap the fan and PSU, would it be advisable to power off the switch down to replace them, or can I swap the PSU and fans while the switch is still live?

Regards

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Everything is hot swappable, but I would replace one component at a time and ensure that the replacement is operating properly from the switch CLI before moving on to the next component. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Everything is hot swappable, but I would replace one component at a time and ensure that the replacement is operating properly from the switch CLI before moving on to the next component. 

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Reviewing here there are different PSU PID for different airflow environments:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-3000-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-651097.html 

NXA-PAC-500W

Nexus 3064-T 500W AC PSU, Forward airflow (port side exhaust)

NXA-PAC-500W-B

Nexus 3064-T 500W AC PSU, Reverse airflow (port side intake)

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to buy right Airflow one, bare in mind,  when i did once the replacement of FAN took Longer than expected, switch detected and reload, (but it was Pair of vPC, so it save me - and it was nexus 5K)  so better get prepared to replace as soon as you removed FAN.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks all for the replies.

I assume I need to swap the fan and both PSU's or can I leave the PSU's in the switch and just swap the fan even if the PSU has different airflow to the fan.

Just as a pre-caution, we have bought N3K-C3064-FAN-B (back-to-front) & 2 x N2200-PAC-400W-B (back-to-front) to replace the other units.

I believe this should do the trick.

I do plan to have console access while swapping the units and I know that I have a 2-minute window to swap the fan, otherwise the switch shuts down.

Thanks

Steve

Sure thats good plan, let us know how it goes

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks All for your help.

The migration went very smoothly and after swapping out both PSU's and the fan, the switch didn't reload.

The customer was very happy.

Regards

Steve