Views
Helpful
Replies

How to replace a Deleted Primary VSM Nexus1000V

robert.horrigan
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Nexus 1000V Gurus,

Can someone help me with the correct process to restore a deleted 'primary' VSM.  Any info would be much appreciated.  Here's my story:

I'm hoping someone can tell me where I went wrong with restoring a wiped Primary VSM.

Primary VSM was deleted.

I built a new one as secondary since the old VSM was active. 

It came up and the active VSM said receiving duplicate data from another VSM.  So I screwed something up there.

I made the active one primary by changing the role and it had to reboot.

After reload it synced with the newly built secondary and then took the config from the newly built secondary (why?).

So now the 1KV is completely wiped and I had to follow a suprisingly lenghty process to get everything back online.

I had to go find extension IDs in MOB and do a boat load of work to get the switch integrated again.

After it came back up all systems seemed healthy except they reported status down link no portprofile.  I had to remove and readd all port profiles (although that seemed like the wrong thing to do)

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Follow the procedure detailed here:

http://communities.cisco.com/thread/10161

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

Thanks.  I actually had my standby VSM still availble and working when the primary was deleted.  I was hoping there was a process to replace the Primary without a full rebuild.  Is that not the case?

That's much easier then - sorry didn't read thoroughly.

You can simplly change the role of your Secondary VSM to primary and then re-deploy a new secondary.

n1000v(config)# system redundancy role ?

primary     Primary redundant VSM

secondary   Secondary redundant VSM

standalone  No redundant VSM

n1000v(config)# system redundancy role primary

Regards,

Robert

chrisb2
Level 1
Level 1

Rob,

It's even easier then that - all you need to do is deploy a new VSM with the Primary role.  When this new VSM comes up it will broadcast out the control VLAN looking for other VSMs.  It will see the Secondary Active VSM with the same domain ID and sync up the config.  The new VSM will then assume the standby mode (primary standby).

This is the best way to do it as changing from secondary to primary requires a reboot