Views
Helpful
Replies

Local data link switching

a.mountouris
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again forum,

can I use local dlsw (for connecting sites that do not have dlsw capable equipment) and also connect remote dlsw peers on the same central router?

For example:

ethernet LAN

|

|

{Central Router}----QLLC/X.25--{remote officeA}

|

|

+-------{dlsw cloud}---{remote officeB)

Remote office A does not have router, it connects directly through the modem to the central site. So, local dlsw is required for this office to translate QLLC to LLC2 frames.

On the other hand, remote office B has dlsw enabled router so dlsw can be established with the central router. Is this possible to have both connection on the same central router?

Regards, Apostolos.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Apostolos,

the dlsw local switching is implicit. All you need is a local peer.

So if you ONLY do local switching than it is like this:

dlsw local-peer

if you do LOCAL and/or REMOTE dlsw you simply configure it like this:

dlsw local-peer peer-id [ip address used as local-peer]

So in your case you simply configure

dlsw local-peer peer-id a.b.c

dlsw remote-peer....

and on the qllc interface you configure your normal qllc, dlsw configuration and that is it.

thanks...

Matthias

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mbinzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

yes, what you describe is perfectly valid. Dlsw will always search local and remote ( if there are any remote dlsw peers ). So in your case the connectivity from and to the ethernet lan is based on mac addresses.

The remote devices have unique mac addresses and for the local ethernet to QLLC conversion you need to configure unique mac addresses aswell on the qllc interface (vmac) and that is how dlsw distinguishes between the different connections.

thanks...

Matthias

Matthias,

thanks for the clarification. Actually the remote devices that have dlsw capable routers are QPPC/x.25 also. So, I would need to do the vmac mapping to the x.121 address for every case.

One more thing, if it not so much trouble. Could you give me a hint on how to configure this hybridic situation? Because I found only examples on how to configure either local or normal dlsw. Not both. For example, how can I configure a local peer while I have already configured "dlsw local" for the case of the local dlsw?

Regards, Apostolos.

Apostolos,

the dlsw local switching is implicit. All you need is a local peer.

So if you ONLY do local switching than it is like this:

dlsw local-peer

if you do LOCAL and/or REMOTE dlsw you simply configure it like this:

dlsw local-peer peer-id [ip address used as local-peer]

So in your case you simply configure

dlsw local-peer peer-id a.b.c

dlsw remote-peer....

and on the qllc interface you configure your normal qllc, dlsw configuration and that is it.

thanks...

Matthias

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: